Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Trunk Opening Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 04:43 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Just thinking about this more. I know that in some vehicles there is a button in the glove box that will deactivate the fob from opening the trunk/hatch. I have to check the manual later, but does the rear hatch have a remote lock out feature?
Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Just thinking about this more. I know that in some vehicles there is a button in the glove box that will deactivate the fob from opening the trunk/hatch. I have to check the manual later, but does the rear hatch have a remote lock out feature?
Good point, I have it in my BMW. But I think they only offer this in sedans as a valet park feature. On an SUV, the trunk can be accessed from inside the vehicle anyway...
Old 03-29-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may be able to program the fob not to activate the trunk through OBDEleven or Vag-com?
Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

There is no button in the glove box. There is a setting in MMI to disable the button under the rear hatch handle, but there is no setting for key fob. OBD-11 settings found so far, allow for coding of extended press time of key fob button before the hatch opens, but no coding to disable it permanently. Funny part is, if you code too long of a time for key fob, then for some reason this affects how the hatch opens with the use of the rear or driver door button. Mine behaved weird with anything higher than 4 second delay. It would only unlatch the hatch, but refused to fully open.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:20 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Good point, I have it in my BMW. But I think they only offer this in sedans as a valet park feature. On an SUV, the trunk can be accessed from inside the vehicle anyway...

You're right, forgive my momentary "brain fart".. LOL

Originally Posted by gsobol
There is no button in the glove box. There is a setting in MMI to disable the button under the rear hatch handle, but there is no setting for key fob. OBD-11 settings found so far, allow for coding of extended press time of key fob button before the hatch opens, but no coding to disable it permanently. Funny part is, if you code too long of a time for key fob, then for some reason this affects how the hatch opens with the use of the rear or driver door button. Mine behaved weird with anything higher than 4 second delay. It would only unlatch the hatch, but refused to fully open.
Yeah I didn't recall seeing a button but didn't have the Q with me yesterday, so when I got home I doubled checked.. Thanks for the add'l info in regards to coding..
Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rinaic
Anyone have issues with their trunk?

I've had the Q7 about two weeks and had the trunk open multiple times (at least half a dozen) without me pressing the key fob. Until last night I did have the key-fob in my pocket and assumed maybe I pressed on the button somehow. Last night the trunk opened overnight and hit the garage door .
Both key-fobs were in places where there was no pressure or chance that something was hitting on the button.
Now I have a ding on the edge of the door and plan on calling the dealership today. With this type of intermittent issue I'm worried that it will spend endless amounts of time going back and forth with no resolution.

I'm also having an issue opening and closing with the key fob. Pressing and holding works inconsistently, especially closing. Opening works most of the time, but closing does not work most of the time. When I try to close the lights will blink but nothing happens.

I did read the other threads related to both these things in the forum, but both seemed to be user error that was likely resolved by behavior / correct operating procedure.
Was dealership able to find anything? I'm curious if there was a resolution on the problem.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I always park my car far enough in the garage so that if the trunk does open for any reason it will not hit the door. So may people reported that it would open when they didn't expect it to that I decided to park further in.

If you can't pull further in you may want to pad your garage door where it would hit so you don't damage the paint on the trunk.
You can adjust the opening height of the lid. See page 36 in the Owner's Manual.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As it turns out, I am having the same problem with my new Q7. One question I have is whether anyone has had the trunk pop open when the car was locked or, alternatively, has this only happened for folks when their car was unlocked. I ask since (a) mine has only had this happeneso far when the car was unlocked in my garage and (b) this will be a much bigger problem for me it the hatch pops open randomly when the car is locked on a city street or in a public parking lot. Thanks in advance for whatever you can share.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjim
You can adjust the opening height of the lid. See page 36 in the Owner's Manual.
Most people can't pull forward, and setting the height is not use under most conditions because you can't set it low enough where it won't travel enough to hit the wall.

Originally Posted by Chaybone
As it turns out, I am having the same problem with my new Q7. One question I have is whether anyone has had the trunk pop open when the car was locked or, alternatively, has this only happened for folks when their car was unlocked. I ask since (a) mine has only had this happeneso far when the car was unlocked in my garage and (b) this will be a much bigger problem for me it the hatch pops open randomly when the car is locked on a city street or in a public parking lot. Thanks in advance for whatever you can share.
It happened again last night, this is getting out of hand, I am very sure that I did not press and hold the button, there is no way it was an accidental push for 3 seconds (or however it takes to open the door). Even if it happens, the fob should not be that sensitive, this kind of operation should require additional force to activate.
I hate this so much that I will leave my keyfob in the car from now on. I am glad I don't park my car on the street, imagine this happening right outside the house, in a busy NYC street. The street is closer to my living room than my garage, so it would be able to activate and open the door if it was an accidental push. Imagine coming back to your car, finding cargo area soaking wet or some homeless guy sleeping in it. If OBDEleven had a code to disable the trunk open function, I'd gladly pay $100 immediately. If the KeyFob was easy to open, I'd open and place some rubber or silicon over the connectors to stop it from activating.

It's the 2nd time locking me out of my garage because door gets lodged by the tailgate, and scraped the paint of the edge of the tailgate, it's an easy buff but still we shouldn't have to deal with this.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Most people can't pull forward, and setting the height is not use under most conditions because you can't set it low enough where it won't travel enough to hit the wall.

It happened again last night, this is getting out of hand, I am very sure that I did not press and hold the button, there is no way it was an accidental push for 3 seconds (or however it takes to open the door). Even if it happens, the fob should not be that sensitive, this kind of operation should require additional force to activate.
I hate this so much that I will leave my keyfob in the car from now on. I am glad I don't park my car on the street, imagine this happening right outside the house, in a busy NYC street. The street is closer to my living room than my garage, so it would be able to activate and open the door if it was an accidental push. Imagine coming back to your car, finding cargo area soaking wet or some homeless guy sleeping in it. If OBDEleven had a code to disable the trunk open function, I'd gladly pay $100 immediately. If the KeyFob was easy to open, I'd open and place some rubber or silicon over the connectors to stop it from activating.I reached out to Audi corporate and the dealership.

It's the 2nd time locking me out of my garage because door gets lodged by the tailgate, and scraped the paint of the edge of the tailgate, it's an easy buff but still we shouldn't have to deal with this.
I just got my 2018 Q7 back today from dealership. They worked with Audi corporate to run tests on my Q7 over several days and basically said it was user error that the trunk opened unexpectedly! Very upsetting because there was no way it was user error. Be sure to file your claim with Audi corporate, and maybe if they hear from enough Q7 owners that they will really look into this. I found that Land Rover did a huge recall with trunks opening on their own, so this issue is not unusual.

Dealership could not disable the function but reprogrammed keys to take 4 seconds to open trunk when button is depressed.

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Randomly