Trunk Opening Randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 hatch opening randomly

Originally Posted by rinaic
Anyone have issues with their trunk?

I've had the Q7 about two weeks and had the trunk open multiple times (at least half a dozen) without me pressing the key fob. Until last night I did have the key-fob in my pocket and assumed maybe I pressed on the button somehow. Last night the trunk opened overnight and hit the garage door .
Both key-fobs were in places where there was no pressure or chance that something was hitting on the button.
Now I have a ding on the edge of the door and plan on calling the dealership today. With this type of intermittent issue I'm worried that it will spend endless amounts of time going back and forth with no resolution.

I'm also having an issue opening and closing with the key fob. Pressing and holding works inconsistently, especially closing. Opening works most of the time, but closing does not work most of the time. When I try to close the lights will blink but nothing happens.

I did read the other threads related to both these things in the forum, but both seemed to be user error that was likely resolved by behavior / correct operating procedure.

this is has happened multiple times with my 2017 q7. Especially in parking lots where I’ve come back several hours later and the hatch is open. Very frustrating

Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesAudiQ7

this is has happened multiple times with my 2017 q7. Especially in parking lots where I’ve come back several hours later and the hatch is open. Very frustrating

I have a keyfob cover for that very reason - reduced phantom trunk issues substantially
Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dohturdima

I have a keyfob cover for that very reason - reduced phantom trunk issues substantially
Substantially? Like completely? or Occasionally it still happens?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Still happens - but much less frequently than before.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Keyfob cover here (soft leather), and occasionally still happens. The key press time can be reset by the dealer or with coding supposedly, but haven't done it yet. The keyfob apparently can open the trunk from a loooong way off, unlike the foot swipe. I have no idea why Audi didn't either limit the distance, or lengthen the key press time, because this is definitely a safety feature.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, my service advisor told me they could not change the length of time required to hold the button to open the rear hatch.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
That’s great info thx. I’ll ask dealer to set it to 4 seconds, I don’t use the key fob to open either.
2 seconds seems to be the optimum time. I keep my keyfob in my pocket all day long and had never had the trunk open on me even before I programmed it for the longer time. Yes, the dealer can do this for you for free. If they say they can't, they just don't want to do it or are inept. Buying an OBDeleven for $50 is the best money spent if you own a VW or Audi. All these things you can do on your own and so easy a caveman can do it. You can even add features you didn't know you had with this little plug in tool. And for you young folks, yes its an app you can download on your cell phone.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
Keyfob cover here (soft leather), and occasionally still happens. The key press time can be reset by the dealer or with coding supposedly, but haven't done it yet. The keyfob apparently can open the trunk from a loooong way off, unlike the foot swipe. I have no idea why Audi didn't either limit the distance, or lengthen the key press time, because this is definitely a safety feature.
Used OBDeleven to lengthen the time to 4 seconds, didn't happen since then --- period (and no keyfob cover, and always in my pants pocket). BTW, let me rant a sec., Audi in it's infinite wisdom has programmed distance limiter, but not for opening the tailgate, but for closing it. So that means that you can open the tailgate from (insert slight exaggeration here) across the town, but you can only close it (using the badly designed keyfob button) only when you are standing right next to the tailgate. Granted, I'm not familiar with Germany laws, but I'm familiar with a concept of common sense, and the (good) reasons for WHY, are still alluding me. Other German cars I've owned did not function like this, frankly no other cars I have owned functioned like this. I've reprogrammed myself back to the early 2K, I just come up to the tailgate and "pull on the handle" (push the button) to open and close. Thank you Audi. Rant done, sorry everyone.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
Buying an OBDeleven for $50 is the best money spent if you own a VW or Audi. All these things you can do on your own and so easy a caveman can do it. You can even add features you didn't know you had with this little plug in tool. And for you young folks, yes its an app you can download on your cell phone.
Agreed, however had to mention, it's Android 4.1 or later only, no Apple IOS or Windows/Linux/PC support.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:46 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
Buying an OBDeleven for $50 is the best money spent if you own a VW or Audi. All these things you can do on your own and so easy a caveman can do it. You can even add features you didn't know you had with this little plug in tool.
I've been saying I want to get one of these but keep dragging my feet for some reason.. It may be time..

Quick Reply: Trunk Opening Randomly