Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tune check in - Who tuned their Q7 4M 3.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 04:29 PM
546AWHP/ 626AWTQ 4M.5

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Stage 3 2021 Q7

The following users liked this post:
CottonMcKnight (11-15-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 05:19 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to share my experience here. I recently had Mike from VAST Performance do a Stage 2 (Single Pulley) ECU tune and TCU tune on my Q. WOW is the simplest way to describe the experience. I don't mean that just for the product itself, but for the amazing customer service I received from the first email response to my inquiry about their tunes. Mike spent almost an hour with me on the phone, asking me what my goals and wants were for the car. He took time to listen, asked me questions and was just a cool dude to spend time on the phone with chatting about Audi's, VW's and Toyota trucks, all of which are near and dear to my heart... obviously right!? I went ahead and placed the order with him, he sent the hardware within a day and we set up a time to do the flash. Once that time came, we got on the phone, he took over my laptop remotely and uploaded all of the files to the car. Cycled the key a few times, cleared a couple of codes and in less than 2 hours I was ready to go drive it.

Driving impressions are as most have noted. In D the car is significantly more responsive, especially as the revs start to climb. The shifts are very quick and rather smooth. I did request a relatively mild tune in the sense that I didn't want everything turned to 10. My purpose with this car is to have a quick, fun, family hauler. I'm not looking to run 1/4 miles or set lap times. With that being said, the car in S/M feels like a beast! It surprised me. It really wakes the car up and makes it a ton of fun to drive. I have no clue what kind of numbers it puts down but I am very happy with the outcome. Its still smooth in every mode; responsive without being jerky and no doubt puts a big smile on my face. I've logged about 1k miles so far and have loved all of them. I've given it a shakedown in just about all of my 'usual' situations in that time though (solo, loaded with the family, lowes mulch run, towed the boat) and have no complaints. I am driving to Florida this weekend so that will be a nice longer mileage test (1,200 round trip).

Icing on the cake is that Mike has been great with following up and ensuring I am happy with the tunes. He has asked if anything needed adjustment and at this point I don't think anything does. In case I change my mind later on, or decide to go Dual Pulley, the process is the same. He sends me the hardware, he remotes in to my laptop and he loads the updated files. He also mentioned the updated files are much faster to load (20/30 mins vs. 1.5+ hours) so should be simple.

All in all I am a very satisfied customer. The product is excellent and the customer service has been exceptional. I have a really hard time finding decent customer service nowadays. Doesn't matter the industry, it seems, most places just don't care enough anymore. I find myself frustrated at most interactions with businesses due to lack of customer care, responsibility or just decency in some cases. I know I am not alone in that feeling, and that is why I really wanted to make this post. It has been a very positive experience after a slew of terrible ones, so it sticks out and felt should be commended. I have no affiliation to Mike or Vast, just recognizing an excellent product backed by excellent service.

Last edited by BGC996; 04-27-2023 at 05:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by BGC996:
2kwik4u (04-28-2023), AggieRob93 (04-28-2023), CottonMcKnight (11-15-2023), espaceman (04-28-2023), mhoran89 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BGC996
I wanted to share my experience here. I recently had Mike from VAST Performance do a Stage 2 (Single Pulley) ECU tune and TCU tune on my Q. WOW is the simplest way to describe the experience. I don't mean that just for the product itself, but for the amazing customer service I received from the first email response to my inquiry about their tunes. Mike spent almost an hour with me on the phone, asking me what my goals and wants were for the car. He took time to listen, asked me questions and was just a cool dude to spend time on the phone with chatting about Audi's, VW's and Toyota trucks, all of which are near and dear to my heart... obviously right!? I went ahead and placed the order with him, he sent the hardware within a day and we set up a time to do the flash. Once that time came, we got on the phone, he took over my laptop remotely and uploaded all of the files to the car. Cycled the key a few times, cleared a couple of codes and in less than 2 hours I was ready to go drive it.

Driving impressions are as most have noted. In D the car is significantly more responsive, especially as the revs start to climb. The shifts are very quick and rather smooth. I did request a relatively mild tune in the sense that I didn't want everything turned to 10. My purpose with this car is to have a quick, fun, family hauler. I'm not looking to run 1/4 miles or set lap times. With that being said, the car in S/M feels like a beast! It surprised me. It really wakes the car up and makes it a ton of fun to drive. I have no clue what kind of numbers it puts down but I am very happy with the outcome. Its still smooth in every mode; responsive without being jerky and no doubt puts a big smile on my face. I've logged about 1k miles so far and have loved all of them. I've given it a shakedown in just about all of my 'usual' situations in that time though (solo, loaded with the family, lowes mulch run, towed the boat) and have no complaints. I am driving to Florida this weekend so that will be a nice longer mileage test (1,200 round trip).

Icing on the cake is that Mike has been great with following up and ensuring I am happy with the tunes. He has asked if anything needed adjustment and at this point I don't think anything does. In case I change my mind later on, or decide to go Dual Pulley, the process is the same. He sends me the hardware, he remotes in to my laptop and he loads the updated files. He also mentioned the updated files are much faster to load (20/30 mins vs. 1.5+ hours) so should be simple.

All in all I am a very satisfied customer. The product is excellent and the customer service has been exceptional. I have a really hard time finding decent customer service nowadays. Doesn't matter the industry, it seems, most places just don't care enough anymore. I find myself frustrated at most interactions with businesses due to lack of customer care, responsibility or just decency in some cases. I know I am not alone in that feeling, and that is why I really wanted to make this post. It has been a very positive experience after a slew of terrible ones, so it sticks out and felt should be commended. I have no affiliation to Mike or Vast, just recognizing an excellent product backed by excellent service.
what year is your q7?
I know another member from a different forum with a 2022 that tune it with vast and mentioned he was pretty happy with it. He was planning to get the tcu tune afterwards due to the 2022 ecu.
Old 04-30-2023, 06:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My bad. I should have specified. I have a 2018 Q7 with the 3.0T.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,186 Likes on 925 Posts

good news... just tuned this morning with APR stage 1 91 octane. good on the butt dyno.
bad news... frozen rear eccentric toe bolt so they couldn't fully align the car so it needs to go in for a second alignment next week....
The following users liked this post:
2kwik4u (11-14-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
good news... just tuned this morning with APR stage 1 91 octane. good on the butt dyno.
bad news... frozen rear eccentric toe bolt so they couldn't fully align the car so it needs to go in for a second alignment next week....
what year is your q7?

I end up going with unitronice stage 1 plus because apr could do anything with my 2022 ecu.

Pretty happy that i can flash it at home and unflash anytime.

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tun...839-stage1plus
Old 11-13-2023, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc22q7
what year is your q7?

I end up going with unitronice stage 1 plus because apr could do anything with my 2022 ecu.

Pretty happy that i can flash it at home and unflash anytime.

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tun...839-stage1plus
How do you like the Unitronic tune? Debating between this one and APR.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mck619
How do you like the Unitronic tune? Debating between this one and APR.
pretty happy with it.

Not sure what was the difference between apr not being able to get the codes to input their files into my ecu.

Unitronic got the codes from audi and did take a few weeks to get it done but nonetheless did it.

I put in a service ticket for apr a year ago after going to one of their dealer to see if I can the flash. A few follow up throughout the year and nothing. (Could be that they are big and too busy)

Overall I like the option of Unitronic and being able to flash it at the comfort of my home which takes 15 minutes or less.

Also I did ask for a tcu which they mentioned it can be in the works for the future.
it would be with the same method of flashing it at home which is a plus.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tune check in

Originally Posted by Jc22q7
pretty happy with it.

Not sure what was the difference between apr not being able to get the codes to input their files into my ecu.

Unitronic got the codes from audi and did take a few weeks to get it done but nonetheless did it.

I put in a service ticket for apr a year ago after going to one of their dealer to see if I can the flash. A few follow up throughout the year and nothing. (Could be that they are big and too busy)

Overall I like the option of Unitronic and being able to flash it at the comfort of my home which takes 15 minutes or less.

Also I did ask for a tcu which they mentioned it can be in the works for the future.
it would be with the same method of flashing it at home which is a plus.
For someone who has not yet done an engine tune, would you recommend waiting for the availability of a TCU tune and then doing both?
Old 11-14-2023, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue
For someone who has not yet done an engine tune, would you recommend waiting for the availability of a TCU tune and then doing both?
Both Apr and unitronic said tcu wasn't needed for their flash.
I would have gotten the tcu if it was available the same time but happy that flash is available for me now so I can enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Tune check in - Who tuned their Q7 4M 3.0T?