Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Using two iPhones with Q7 MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using two iPhones with Q7 MMI?

Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with this? It seems that only one iPhone can be connected to the MMI at a time and once the Smartphone Interface is in use, Bluetooth is disabled. I’d like my wife to be able to make/receive calls via the MMI while I’m driving and using CarPlay. Called Audi Connect support and they said only one phone at a time.

This seems like poor design for a luxury car. Is there something I’m missing?
Old 10-02-2023, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've observed the same limitations of one phone active at any given time.

Additionally, I'm frustrated that the last active Carplay device doesn't persist with the user profile. My wife and I regularly drive our Q7 and each of us have to dig deep into the settings every time we drive to select our own phone as the active one.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

It's under Connected Devices - and you can pick the one already connected to show the others that are available. Usually my wife's overrides mine almost all the time. Not sure why if I'm the driver, with my key, my settings and preferences, and it still wants to connect to her phone.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah its a crappy system unfortunately once you get two phones in there, especially if they can both connect wirelessly and they are connected with cables at the same time. You can go into the details and pick and choose each feature per device but its wonky at best. I ended up turning off all the wireless features and the phones behave a little better but not much. Don't even get me started when my kid plugs in the iPad in the back seat and SpongeBob music starts blasting out of the speakers.

Totally agree that the profile of the driver should win and last active phone should win or something like that. I usually just run out and make sure I am first in the car with my phone plugged in if I am driving.
Old 10-03-2023, 08:40 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jroczniak
Yeah its a crappy system unfortunately once you get two phones in there, especially if they can both connect wirelessly and they are connected with cables at the same time. You can go into the details and pick and choose each feature per device but its wonky at best. I ended up turning off all the wireless features and the phones behave a little better but not much. Don't even get me started when my kid plugs in the iPad in the back seat and SpongeBob music starts blasting out of the speakers.

Totally agree that the profile of the driver should win and last active phone should win or something like that. I usually just run out and make sure I am first in the car with my phone plugged in if I am driving.
Sorry, I didn't understand anything, except that the child’s iPad sounds through the car. No device can be played through the vehicle unless you approve it. Just don't give permission on the MMI screen.