Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

What causes wipers to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What causes wipers to do this?

This is making it very difficult to drive at night.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Buy new wipers
Old 03-22-2019, 04:14 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I believe he has bought new wipers several times based on other threads..

It looks like there is something definitely on your windshield, and I recall you posting a while back that you took the steps to clean the windshield properly.. Maybe you could ask a professional detailing place if they have any ideas?? Crazy how long you have been dealing with this..
Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Hayde, that looks like major road film on your windshield. I've had some success using a glass polish to really get the glass clean.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a hand cleaner with pumice, like GoJo or FastOrange, to scrub down the windshield periodically. Put a big dollop on rag and do the wax-on/wax-off circles for a bit, then rinse well with water. It'll remove that road film lickety split! Oh, and if you're in the market for new wipers, I just put some Bosch Aerotwins on my Q5 last month and they've been great.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-22-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a film on your windshield that the sensors detect as moisture. That's all I can gather based on the video. The wiper doesn't quite wipe it clean. This has happened to me in all cars under the right confluence of weather conditions (mist, temp, humidity), when the wipers keep going. But this shouldn't happen all the time
Old 03-22-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did you accidentally put some other fluid in the washer reservoir?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scissorfighter
I use a hand cleaner with pumice, like GoJo or FastOrange, to scrub down the windshield periodically. Put a big dollop on rag and do the wax-on/wax-off circles for a bit, then rinse well with water. It'll remove that road film lickety split! Oh, and if you're in the market for new wipers, I just put some Bosch Aerotwins on my Q5 last month and they've been great.

https://www.amazon.com/Gojo-Natural-.../dp/B000BDEYTE
Not sure if you are trying to be funny but I would not rub volcanic grit to any glass surface.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
This is making it very difficult to drive at night.

https://youtu.be/3NbM-E9laL4
Clay Bar your windshield.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jvalek
Clay Bar your windshield.
This was recommended in the past but someone else said not to do it unless I tried everything else because it might cause the wipers to "hop" or skip.

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
Did you accidentally put some other fluid in the washer reservoir?
That was my first, you can check some my posts about asking how to flush the reservoir, but I assume running it dry and refilling it with new fluid, then running that dry and refilling it again would help eliminate the issue.
Also, I purposely did not use the sprayers after deep cleaning the windshield with A) Rain-X Cleaner (does not add treatment) and also B) Going crazy with stoners invisible glass and pushing hard on squeegee.
These helped partially, but the staining/smearing and the haze you see in the video does not completely go away. When there is no moisture on the windshield, this is not visible, and when weather is hot the hazy areas tend to evaporate fast, but when it's humid or under 55, it doesn't evaporate and remains on the windshield.

There are times when I don't even want to run the wipers because the glass looks perfectly clean with just water drops on it, so I try to drive as long as I can in between wipes.

Quick Reply: What causes wipers to do this?