Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

What made you guys choose the Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What made you guys choose the Q7?

I haven't been interested in Audi and have been a BMW guy all my life.My lease on the 7 is coming up and I am considering an Audi for a change this time around.My main interest is in it's famous Quattro system as a proper AWD is important where I live.I need the cargo space it provides with the 3rd row down.I was wondering what the other owners priorities were when they chose the Q7.

Last edited by cukoodukoo; 04-21-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a former BMW guy as well (couple of X5, M5, M3) but have also always been an Audi fan. The Q7 on order will be my 7th Audi.

Chose the Q7 to be an ideal family hauler as we now have 2 kids (1 and 2yo) and the priorities were:
1) safety
2) 3rd row practicality
3) trailer towing capability (I still track my pcar)
4) interior luxury and tech
5) wanted something that has all of the above yet handles well and doesn't drive like a big truck
Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
I haven't been interested in Audi and have been a BMW guy all my life.My lease on the 7 is coming up and I am considering an Audi for a change this time around.My main interest is in it's famous Quattro system as a proper AWD is important where I live.I need the cargo space it provides with the 3rd row down.I was wondering what the other owners priorities were when they chose the Q7.
I currently drive a 2007 Audi A4 which I purchased new. At the time I lived in the NE and needed the all-wheel drive and the only options were Audi and Subaru. So that started our relationship with Audi, even though my wife felt that the A4 was lacking in features for a $35k car. When it was time to look at a replacement, I targeted my search around BMW and Audi. We have since moved to FL and the closest Audi dealers in 45 minutes away, where there is a local BMW dealership. Originally I was focused on getting either the SQ5 or BMW x3 35i, but really felt it would be useful to go with the third row option. While the third row isn't spacious at all, it will be nice when family is in town and we want to go out to dinner. Its a challenge to get two adults and the car seat in the back of my wife's CR-V without getting really close to each other.

So we started looking at the BMW x5 and Audi Q7 as options for the next vehicle. I love the passion behind both brands and believe both manufacturers make excellent cars. The issue with the x5 was that with a similar build to the Q7, the car was going to ticket around $72k. Knowing that I could probably get $5k-$6k off the price, that was still more that I wanted to spend. No matter how much money you have, its hard to justify spending $60k+ on a car, when your last one only cost $30k.

Looking at the Q7, it really got me almost everything that I wanted. Good power with the 333 hp supercharged V6 (same engine as SQ5), dual exhaust (quad would be better), and the technology (the newest and best on the market). 5.5 seconds 0-60 isn't bad for a car of this size, so it should be the best of both worlds. A family hauler that hauls. That is what sold me. While I would love the SQ7. I know spending $100k on a car is probably not going to happen. So I will be happy with the Q7 until I can convince my wife that she needs to replace the CR-V with a BMW x3M when it comes out in 2018.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

The tech and 3rd row were my major reasons for choosing it over a BMW. BMW third row is just not functional at all. I also was very impressed by the 4 wheel steering and the virtual cockpit. I also love the self-driving features when accompanied by the HUD (makes it easier to monitor that they are working).

Even though you see some people with small issues on this board, you would be hard-pressed to find someone that doesn't love the car and wouldn't buy it again.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a BMW X5 and was in love with it that I was making excuses not to trade it in. We didn't buy the x5 with a 3rd row since it was a joke. We needed a vehicle with a 3rd row, test drove everything out there. The q7 seemed far ahead of all other SUVs with respect to comfort. I can definitely say it's the most comfortable and easy suv I have driven ever.

Few pet peeves...no 3rd row air vents or floor mats? Did they forget about it? Wish trunk with 3rd row up was a little bigger..getting in and out of the 3rd row is a pain. Wish Audi stole Honda Pilot or infinitis way of 3rd row access. This is my first Audi and I had an am glad I made this decision.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Andriens
Hello,

I would like to offer you tailored Audi car mats with rubber heel pad directly from manufacturer.

Visit our shop on ebay free international shipping!

BMW, Audi items in procarmatsltu store on eBay!
I always find this spamming sort of funny, in a pathetic way. I will save everyone the trouble: when you click the link to the eBay store, you will find that the spammer does not even offer mats for a 2017 Q7....additionally, the seller is in Lithuania and has only 25 positive feedback.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We test drove the XC90, X5 & Q7
-XC90: beautiful car but no car seat clips for the center seat on the 2nd row and it had a 4cyl that gives you the same gas mileage of a 6cyl... Sorry not paying $60k+ For a 4cyl + the ride was harsh on the 20"s that the whole car rattled on rough roads.
-X5: Great Car, but everything we wanted that came standard on the Q7 was a high premium that by the time you built it to compare apples to apples you were paying the same for a car who's body style has been around since 2013 (2014 model) and since ours will be a toddler and new baby hauler the rear seats were not as spacious as the Q7's.
-Q7: Completely impressed us, ride quality + standard equipment = #SOLD

Last edited by PROEDGEBIKER.COM; 04-21-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great dealership, pretty local.
Excellent quality for the price point. The loaded competitors were more expensive- MB and BMW.
Plus I wanted a vehicle I wouldn't see 10 times a day driving around.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the new Q7 last weekend, and it is truly a beautiful car, loaded with all the latest technology innovations. One thing I definitely like about Audi, is their cargo space is very efficient and square -- Q5's and Q7's seats fold completely flat and lock down, unlike many other cars.

This thing does have some punch, but it'll cost your fuel economy. I was getting worse than 20L/100km -> 10-11MPG, but of course, I was driving it harder than I normally would. But it really torques between 20-60MPH. A little slow off the mark.

I'm waiting for the new SQ5, so I'm wanting something sporty, lighter, smaller, and cheaper. The Q7 is gorgeous and classy with a lot of hand-free cargo manipulation -- buttons for raising/lower the rear seats while at the back, automatic tailgate controls, etc.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I chose the Q7 because I needed a new 2nd vehicle (both needed to be SUVs) and already had a 16' XC90 so figured a Q7 in the stable would make for a fun 'which one to drive today' choice, lol.

Quick Reply: What made you guys choose the Q7?