Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

What's the point of the Virtual Cockpit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 PM
eiw
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
I understand that Apple is trying to promote its apps but it should realize that Google Maps is far more intuitive and accurate compared to Apple Maps. For the sake of having correct navigation, it should allow users to choose which navigation app they prefer (Apple/Google/Waze). Jeez Apple!
Agree! And not only navi apps. There are a number of iOS apps that could be very useful to have on the MMI. If Apple allow more on CarPlay it could actually be a big selling point for both car manufacturers and for the iPhone.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,640 Posts

The worthless analog speedometer is a monstrous waste of real estate. I won't leave the nav engaged because it won't let me display the digital speed number when it's active.
A centered analog tach with a digital speed number in the middle, with screens on the left and right for configurable information, would be great (ie, like the RS display early in the thread).
But why bother with multiple screens and mechanicals when you can just have one screen with completely configurable layout.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
But why bother with multiple screens and mechanicals when you can just have one screen with completely configurable layout.

That'd be nice. Right now it's mainly hype, and pretty misleading as it's advertised with the google earth which requires a $$$ monthly fee.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My google earth just expired. At first I was concerned because the map looks so bright and ugly without it. But then I put it into night mode all the time, and now I am happy without google earth.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
My google earth just expired. At first I was concerned because the map looks so bright and ugly without it. But then I put it into night mode all the time, and now I am happy without google earth.
It sucks to lose that feature as the regular maps look uglier than that in my 10 year old MB. But I hardly use nav so cant justify paying for it
Old 02-13-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Im planning to renew. I like the traffic, traffic rerouting, flight information which apparently for some reason i am always going to the airport, and the "where I parked feature" is nice. Oh the google voice search feature is great. I used that alot as well.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dasaint
Im planning to renew. I like the traffic, traffic rerouting, flight information which apparently for some reason i am always going to the airport, and the "where I parked feature" is nice. Oh the google voice search feature is great. I used that alot as well.
Interestingly, my iphone (Apple Maps actually) marks my cars location every time I get out and lock it, and send me a notification. It does this with 2 out of my 3 cars.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Interestingly, my iphone (Apple Maps actually) marks my cars location every time I get out and lock it, and send me a notification. It does this with 2 out of my 3 cars.
Yes, it does. I believe that was added in iOS 9 for the first time. It recognizes that you have a Bluetooth connection to a hands-free kit and then when the connection disconnects it assumes you parked and marks the spot. Works pretty reliably. Google Maps has the same feature, but doesn't work very reliably on the iPhone. Not that I ever forget where I parked, but it's a nice piece of mind in unfamiliar areas.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, it does. I believe that was added in iOS 9 for the first time. It recognizes that you have a Bluetooth connection to a hands-free kit and then when the connection disconnects it assumes you parked and marks the spot. Works pretty reliably. Google Maps has the same feature, but doesn't work very reliably on the iPhone. Not that I ever forget where I parked, but it's a nice piece of mind in unfamiliar areas.
Makes sense. But for some reason Google maps doesnt give me a notification.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
You can use Google Voice Search or Siri in same manner, just press and hold the voice search button on your steering wheel when you are connected via USB or BT.

Quick Reply: What's the point of the Virtual Cockpit?