Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Who Is In Charge Of The PDI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Who Is In Charge Of The PDI?

Who is responsible for the Pre-Delivery Inspection? Is it the service department? Does the salesman have any of the responsibility? My new Argus Brown Q7 Prestige with Cedar Brown interior, luxury package, driver's assistance package, adaptive chassis, cold weather package, Towing package was delivered to me friday. When I got there, one valve cap was missing and another would have departed the valve stem before I got out of the parking lot. I thought this at least indicated that they had checked the air pressure. However, when I got home, 150 miles later, I discovered that the tires still had the transport pressure (45psi) in them rather than the "normal" 32 to 35 psi. God knows I would NEVER have knowingly driven so far on over inflated tires. Also, four pieces of paper were in the "pouches" attached to the back of the front seats. The writing on these was all in German, which means they are meaningless to me. Some of the words that I could get some meaning from suggest they related to the factory installation/inspection of the seats. Why weren't they removed from the vehicle before I got there?

In the back of my mind is, what else in the PDI did they miss/not do?

This is my 3rd Audi from this dealership and I have had four others serviced there in the past. I am beginning to think that the service department may be failing and the service manager may need to be informed that somebody is falling down on the job. But on the other hand, if the salesman is ultimately responsible, maybe I should talk to the sales manager.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that you should speak with the service manager. The techs perform the PDI. Salesman isn’t going to do anything except check with service that the car looks right before you pick it up.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the techs perform some checks and drive the vehicle, and apparently the vehicles are detailed and cleaned with all the plastic etc removed. This is not very fulfilling work so I am sure crap happens, but yeah, still not acceptable. I too am not impressed by Audi's inspection/delivery etc.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am fairly sure that service dept is supposed to do this. The Salesman might be a double check. In my case, the salesman sent the car back before I saw it... they had forgotten to fill the tank with gas.
But... also, i found out when I got home that they also forgot to fill the windshield wiper fluid. I also found one of the clear blue plastic strips across the back tailgate had not been removed from the chrome, AND a little plastic clippy thingy was not properly clipped closed in the engine compartment.. nothing big, but it was missed.
I took off the blue plastic, attached the clippy thing.. and the next time into the dealer, I had them fill the windshield wiper fluid.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timshuwy
I am fairly sure that service dept is supposed to do this. The Salesman might be a double check. In my case, the salesman sent the car back before I saw it... they had forgotten to fill the tank with gas.
But... also, i found out when I got home that they also forgot to fill the windshield wiper fluid. I also found one of the clear blue plastic strips across the back tailgate had not been removed from the chrome, AND a little plastic clippy thingy was not properly clipped closed in the engine compartment.. nothing big, but it was missed.
I took off the blue plastic, attached the clippy thing.. and the next time into the dealer, I had them fill the windshield wiper fluid.
Makes you feel good about going back for maintenance, I bet. My dealer's service has been pretty poor. I've pretty much written them off and will be going to try a different dealer for my next maintenance visit.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

That is insanely unfortunate. I'd question that they checked anything then. I would think that it does into the service bay, and they do their PDI magic. I doubt the sales guy has much to do with the process (other than screwing on your plate for you as the final touch).

I would talk to the sales manager. It's quite possible he believes the crew is doing their job since nobody complains. As long as you clearly lay out what the issues are in a diplomatic way, it will go in your favor. Otherwise you'll get written off as another "unrealistic customer" in his mind.