Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Why dashcams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why dashcams?

Seeing the threads on dashcams. Just curious, why people want em.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

To protect yourself in the event of accidents, mostly. My son is an insurance adjuster and he told me I definitely needed to get one--no question about it.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I get your point OP, we've lived without them forever. But i see a lot more people arguing after an accident than I ever saw before, so personally a dash cam would end all debate. I'm not installing one but if it were a factory option, I'd get it
Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by billsfan
Seeing the threads on dashcams. Just curious, why people want em.
If you are a good driver and have a good driving record and are more likely to be the victim than the cause of an accident - then you are (statistically) more likely to benefit from a dashcam than be harmed by one. OTOH, they can just as easily prove your guilt as your innocence.This is detailed in a video on the subject that I ran across recently:

Most also have parking lot modes that can often catch a parking lot hit and run driver - not an uncommon thing. They also may or may not catch vandals.

One added downside is that they can actually be a theft target - so consider that as well.

There is a good unbiased review site on YouTube:

Dash Cam Reviews

I plan to have one installed (front/rear) when my Q7 arrives.

Last edited by Astropup; 05-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I get your point OP, we've lived without them forever. But i see a lot more people arguing after an accident than I ever saw before, so personally a dash cam would end all debate. I'm not installing one but if it were a factory option, I'd get it
In Europe, it apparently is, and uses the built-in cameras. Teslas also have a very sophisticated system that has caught numerous vandals.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Some MY20 BMWs are getting it:

Drive Recorder

Limited recording time, but it's supposed to record when you need it most.

I'd say it's about time this is coming...
Old 06-01-2019, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
I'd say it's about time this is coming...
Agreed. Since it will not be long before all vehicles have suites of cameras for safety systems anyway, leveraging these for motioning is a very logical thing to do.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:00 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I don’t even understand why someone would question the need for one. I’ve caught numerous incidents on my home and dash cam that I’ve used in court.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
I don’t even understand why someone would question the need for one. I’ve caught numerous incidents on my home and dash cam that I’ve used in court.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, that video tells me three things:

1) All decent folks need a dashcam - probably front and rear (note the rear-ending video)
2) Stay out of cities whenever possible - more people, more idiots, larger chance of problems. Makes me glad I am rural and Amazon exists so no big city shopping.
3) If you do have a dashcam, remember to be polite and watch your language. Be the sane, calm and concerned victim - let the other guy be the total jerk. Then there will be no question as to who the good guy is when the police view the video.

Last edited by Astropup; 06-01-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Why dashcams?