Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Wind Noise when AC Recirc Button Is Turned Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise when AC Recirc Button Is Turned Off

Hi Everyone,

I was driving with my music turned way down today. So it was practically silent in the Q7 ... except for a very apparent 'wind' noise that I heard while inside.

All windows up, roof closed etc.

Once I pressed the recirc button to ON (red light on), the noise went away.
It appears when the recirc button is turned off, the Q7 almost opens some type of vent that allows 'wind' to enter the car - in a rather aggressive way.

Never seen this behavior in any car I have owned.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diffuser
Hi Everyone,

I was driving with my music turned way down today. So it was practically silent in the Q7 ... except for a very apparent 'wind' noise that I heard while inside.

It appears when the recirc button is turned off, the Q7 almost opens some type of vent that allows 'wind' to enter the car - in a rather aggressive way.

The wind noise issue I posted before is from the driver side window when driving above 40 mph, and turning re-circulation button on/off does not make a difference.

The technician is looking into it now while my Q7 is having the 3rd row seat recall service (and a flat tire replacement )

I will report back if they find anything.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by discogone
The wind noise issue I posted before is from the driver side window when driving above 40 mph, and turning re-circulation button on/off does not make a difference.

The technician is looking into it now while my Q7 is having the 3rd row seat recall service (and a flat tire replacement )

I will report back if they find anything.
Good luck with window issue!
I checked my recall status and nothing is showing up on my Q7.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with window issue!
I checked my recall status and nothing is showing up on my Q7.
Just got a call from the dealer - they said they could not reproduce the noise (of course ). For the recall, they don't have the part, then why did they take my appointment???
Old 10-05-2016, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello diffuser. I also have this issue but have not tried to recirculation button. The noise is just as you describe and is louder at higher speeds.

I've had my car for a couple weeks. I left a message for the service manager on how they plan to fix -- I'll let you know what I find out. Please let me know if you have any resolution. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI: I noticed mine a lot more before I checked the rear vents and found them closed.

Once I opened those it got a lot quieter.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Count Rushmore
FYI: I noticed mine a lot more before I checked the rear vents and found them closed.

Once I opened those it got a lot quieter.
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, rear vents are open.

Also went for a drive and can confirm that the wind noise disappears when you turn on the recirculation.

I have an appointment for next week. Hopefully, they can find a fix but would love to hear if any other people have had issues with this. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Everyone,

I had exactly the same experience when I got my Q7 in April; hitting the recirc button makes the intrusive wind noise much less prominent.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pagla6
I had exactly the same experience when I got my Q7 in April; hitting the recirc button makes the intrusive wind noise much less prominent.
It kinda makes sense, turning on recirc will somehow close a vent that disables draw of air from the outside to the inside of the Q7.

However, I have never seen such a noise 'difference' in any car before.

One would expect the Q7 to be beautifully quiet in either AC mode ...
Now in order to have a super quiet interior, I have to turn on RECIRC ??

Ridiculous if you ask me...:/
Old 10-06-2016, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will just confirm the observation that turning on recirculation will stop the vague buffeting wind noise at the front windshield area. I just got back from a long road trip that included long distances at 75-85 mph and had noticed some wind noise. Not loud enough to be annoying but definitely noticeable at higher speeds. Then I saw this post and gave it a try. As soon as recirc is turned on, the noise at the front windshield stops. Interesting. Would never have thought to try that.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise when AC Recirc Button Is Turned Off