Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Windshield washer fluid refill

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Windshield washer fluid refill

After only two rain trips I am getting low washer fluid warning, I searched the forum but there wasn't a thread specifically on washer fluid. I had problems with Rain-X washers on my BMW's (they would trip low washer error even though tank was near-full) and had to switch to pungent BMW fluid, eventually settled for $1 blue gas station fluid which worked very well.

I wanted to check before I refill mine, if Q7 is sensitive to "blue stuff" or "green stuff" fluids.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It is sensitive to Rain-X. My service adviser warned me very early in my Q7 ownership not to add windshield washer fluid if it is not blue in color - same as it was for my VW Touareg TDI.
P.S. While Audi windshield washer fluid is definitely pungent, I am yet to find a better windshield washing fluid...

Last edited by ConservativeConsumer; 11-28-2017 at 05:12 AM. Reason: cc
Old 11-28-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Factory fill is hard to find. Its usually clear and smells great (at least the BMW fill does). The retail stuff is blue so people dont drink it by accident.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
It is sensitive to Rain-X. My service adviser warned me very early in my Q7 ownership not to add windshield washer fluid if it is not blue in color - same as it was for my VW Touareg TDI.
P.S. While Audi windshield washer fluid is definitely pungent, I am yet to find a better windshield washing fluid...
Really? News to me. I've always used RainX or the like and never had any problems with any of my Audis. I'll continue to use them.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what's in my car but it is absolutely awful at de-icing the windshield. The VW/Audi product here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/oem-windshield-washer-solvent-concentrate/zaw096311bdsp/ doesn't mention anything about de-icing properties. It getting cold up here in the NE and the first winter with the Q7 is arriving. I was originally thinking of draining what's in there and replacing with Rain X, but apparently the orange fluid doesn't work well? Is the low fluid sensor a light sensor, looking for a dark fluid beyond a certain level?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for replies guys.

Trevor, that's an interesting idea, but I was told it was the compound of Rain X which does not allow the sensor to float properly which made my low-washer warning come on randomly on my BMW. Something was sticking in there, no idea what was causing it. Replaced it with blue stuff and it worked fine.
I guess I'll be filling it with my remaining blue stuff in Q7 and use that instead. Thanks for the link, but like you said deicing is a big deal and I don't want it start clumping on 15F winters.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not sure why it could be that OEM Audi windshield washer fluid is hard to come by. Where I live it is available at a dealer store or online.
Premixed:
https://parts.audistpaul.com/p/Audi_...73/122153.html
Concentrate:
https://parts.audistpaul.com/p/Audi_...96311BDSP.html
Old 11-28-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On a related note, the manual says Q7's are equipped with a headlight washer system, which operates only when the low beams are on. It also cleans the night vision assist camera. Is this standard equipment on the Prestige? I have the warm and cold weather packages plus night vision and driver assist. I've never seen it mentioned until I read the manual but it certainly is not on my car. I checked the forum for other discussions and it seems there is no clear answer...some Canadian cars have it but others don't. And I don't recall seeing it as an option.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Katskill
On a related note, the manual says Q7's are equipped with a headlight washer system, which operates only when the low beams are on. It also cleans the night vision assist camera. Is this standard equipment on the Prestige? I have the warm and cold weather packages plus night vision and driver assist. I've never seen it mentioned until I read the manual but it certainly is not on my car. I checked the forum for other discussions and it seems there is no clear answer...some Canadian cars have it but others don't. And I don't recall seeing it as an option.
Standard if you order Night Vision, no Night Vision No Headlight washers.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Standard if you order Night Vision, no Night Vision No Headlight washers.
Yes, I have the headlight washers. I watched a YouTube demonstration so I now see how it works, although they don't appear to be very effective when they spray the headlights...several features were not explained to me when I picked up my car even though I asked to go over everything--I'm only finding out about them by reading the manual. In their defense, I guess you can't cover everything. So my advice to those of you getting this car is you must read the manual or you risk missing something.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid refill