Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wires in 2017 Q7 Trunk, underneath carpeted floor lid, near subwoofer

Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wires in 2017 Q7 Trunk, underneath carpeted floor lid, near subwoofer

 
Old 02-10-2019, 05:16 PM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18
Default Wires in 2017 Q7 Trunk, underneath carpeted floor lid, near subwoofer


Anyone know what these loose wires are? I have a '17 Q7 Prestige which recently had the rear upper bumper replaced and painted by an independent repair / body shop. To do so, I they expect that they had to take the whole two piece bumper assembly apart and off the vehicle, replace / repaint and reinstall. I was initially going to have the work done by my local Audi dealer in Dayton, OH (US), but found out that they are not Audi "certified."

I initially thought that the wires were the automatic trunk opener sensors which detect when the foot is swung underneath the bumper, that perhaps the shop left off, but I've tried that function and it works. Upon sending the picture to the body shop, they aren't sure. They contacted the local Audi dealer, and the lead tech said that they are humidity sensors that are only used when the vehicle is transported or waiting at the dock.

Does that make sense? Suppose it could. The two wires are wrapped with a foil tape at the end, and don't appear to have any connectors on them.


Mya6tdi is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 292
Default

Originally Posted by Mya6tdi View Post
I was initially going to have the work done by my local Audi dealer in Dayton, OH (US), but found out that they are not Audi "certified."
Your Audi dealer is not Audi certified? huh?
bkafrick is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:11 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 962
Default

Originally Posted by bkafrick View Post
Your Audi dealer is not Audi certified? huh?
He probably means for body work repairs (aluminum body panels).
gsobol is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 AM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18
Default

Yes, correct, they were not Audi certified for aluminum body repair. Come to find out, there are two levels, I believe, of certification. One, being for aluminum surface repairs such as for fenders, and another for structural, such as for the frame. The new service contact person, thought they were certified, checked on it while I was on hold, and said "yes"
they were.

I doubted it, and called AOA who verified they weren't certified in either. As they weren't I didn't feel it was necessary for me to pay extra for a non-certified job, and hence went to a good local repair shop, with a good reputation for working on Audis and BMWs.

So, no take on the loose wires? If humidity sensors, would be nice to access the data withing OBD11 gauges, at times.
Mya6tdi is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
mattwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 85
Default

Six things come to mind that'd be wired in the bumper... rear bumper lights, towing connection, parking sensors, rear radar (w/DAP), rear proximity for keyfob and handsfree open... my guess would be handsfree open or rear proximity... everything working? maybe these wires were abandoned?
mattwhit is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM
  #6  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18
Default

yes, everything working thus far, such as back up sensors and handsfree kick open....
Mya6tdi is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Member
 
mattwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 85
Default

Originally Posted by Mya6tdi View Post
yes, everything working thus far, such as back up sensors and handsfree kick open....
Can you close the hatch with the keyfob?
mattwhit is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 PM
  #8  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 18
Default

Yes, the key fob works, to close the trunk hatch. Suppriae that no one else seems to have seen these wires .... nor has an idea what they are for / or can confirm that that are humidity sensors!
Mya6tdi is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 313
Default

Ha ha ha. Humidity sensors! Those are clearly the wires for the trans-flux capacitor. You may notice slight irregularities transitioning to speeds above Warp 13 while entering wormholes if they are disconnected.

Seriously, something is disconnected and thatís the lamest explanation Iíve ever heard. Youíd need a wiring diagram and to trace the wires to find out whatís really going on. I donít have any loose wires on mine.
Corgiman is offline  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:28 PM
  #10  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Secaucus, NJ
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by Mya6tdi View Post

Anyone know what these loose wires are? I have a '17 Q7 Prestige which recently had the rear upper bumper replaced and painted by an independent repair / body shop. To do so, I they expect that they had to take the whole two piece bumper assembly apart and off the vehicle, replace / repaint and reinstall. I was initially going to have the work done by my local Audi dealer in Dayton, OH (US), but found out that they are not Audi "certified."

I initially thought that the wires were the automatic trunk opener sensors which detect when the foot is swung underneath the bumper, that perhaps the shop left off, but I've tried that function and it works. Upon sending the picture to the body shop, they aren't sure. They contacted the local Audi dealer, and the lead tech said that they are humidity sensors that are only used when the vehicle is transported or waiting at the dock.

Does that make sense? Suppose it could. The two wires are wrapped with a foil tape at the end, and don't appear to have any connectors on them.
I have the same question as well, a body shop repainted my bumper and these two wires were left exposed in the subwoofer area, I asked the body shop they said they were tucked in and they tucked them back in..., Not sure what they were either...
Yang L is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wires in 2017 Q7 Trunk, underneath carpeted floor lid, near subwoofer


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: