Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

XC90 Plug-in Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default XC90 Plug-in Hybrid

I have always been impressed by Volvo's refined interiors. The XC90 plug-in hybrid has an impressive 400 hp which I believe is obtained by Turbo & Supercharged Engine with 87 hp Electric Motor. Also there is a federal tax credit of 5K for this model. What are your thoughts on the XC90 plug-in hybrid compared to the Q7?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

and its $100K to start.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ven7782
I have always been impressed by Volvo's refined interiors. The XC90 plug-in hybrid has an impressive 400 hp which I believe is obtained by Turbo & Supercharged Engine with 87 hp Electric Motor. Also there is a federal tax credit of 5K for this model. What are your thoughts on the XC90 plug-in hybrid compared to the Q7?
almost bought this Instead of the Q7 a few years ago. Did more research and found tons of quality issues with early model xc90’s and also issues with the infotainment (sensus).
Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When the XC90 plug-in came out, it was something special - including its 400 hp and 472 lb-ft.

These days, not so much anymore. If I'd be in the market for a plug-in hybrid SUV, I'd wait 'til summer and get this instead:

The Aviator is going to blow the XC90 away with more than 450 hp and more than 600 lb-ft.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PARealtor
and its $100K to start.
No its not. A well equipped one is around 78-80K
Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PARealtor
and its $100K to start.
That would be the Excellence model. Pretty posh interior, but practical only if your chauffeur drives you around in it. Better ways to spend $100k on a car IMO....

Last edited by Doc H; 12-05-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

No its not. A well equipped one is around 78-80K
When I was cross shopping XC90 / Q7 last year you could get one for well under that, Volvo has number of incentives and bonuses, they even have Costco discount. The incentives and rebates pile on.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't speak for the XC90 plug in Hybrid, however I do own a 2016 XC 90 and can say it's a fantastic vehicle. It does have a few small quirks, but nothing that is a show stopper in my mind.

1) When you first get into the car, the infotainment screen is slow to respond for about 30 seconds. (Volvo apparently fixed this with a faster processor in newer models). Not my daily driver, so for my wife it's a non issue. Her settings are coded into both keys so when she gets in, she doesn't need to change anything. For me however, I can't stand heated seats or the temp at 78f so I immediately want to change them and this takes a little patience. (Originally, we both had keys and my settings were saved, but I rarely drive it and her settings ended up on my key).
2) Shifting isn't quite as quick as I would like. In the end, we sprung for the Polestar optimizations primarily to increase the sportiness of the shifts. Polestar also gives it a small HP boost, but shifting is much better. (shifts should be this way from stock). However, with both of my Audi's I've experienced similar issues and have always had to drive in S mode to get the shifting I like, so it could very well be a personal preference.

I will say that the Volvo XC90 with Bowers and Wilkins sound is the best stock sound system I have ever heard in a vehicle. Never been in a Q7 though so I can't compare. I'm not a big fan of the touch screen interface and actually prefer Audi's implementation on my old 2017 A4. My "new" 2016 S6 interface isn't quite as nice though and I'd consider it a wash as compared to the Volvo XC90 simply because although I preferred the button interface of the updated A4, the older interface of the S6 is more complicated and busy, which is exactly my issue with the XC90. Although it is clean, it can be a bit busy.
In 2.5yrs and 30K miles, we've had only one issue with our XC90, one of the middle row seats wouldn't fold down. Our dealership diagnosed the problem and fixed it under warranty. A lot of people are skeptical of the XC90's 2.0l engine, but other than the small engine sound, it's 330hp (polestar tune) have never failed to respond and perform.

I've found our local Volvo and Audi dealers to be excellent, so for me at least, that's also a wash, but is certainly dependent on your location and selection of dealers for each vehicle.

In the end, I think the XC90 is a very tough competitor for the Q7 and you probably couldn't go wrong with either. Drive them both and then make your decision.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by acruxksa
I will say that the Volvo XC90 with Bowers and Wilkins sound is the best stock sound system I have ever heard in a vehicle.

Volvo's speakers are perfectly placed for crisp sound. However-- like you said "small engine sound"; Good quality sound system is a must with a small engine sound (screaming at times) that XC90 produces when it's pushed. I love my Q7 and how quiet it is even at high rpms. It's one of those marvelous things Audi got right in Q7, neither MB nor BMW was able to replicate. Also don't forget the "safety" features that you can't disable on Volvo, like the base model's lights on dash above speedometer that constantly reminds you how close you are to the vehicle in front. I am sure Volvo will polish XC90 for 2020 MY and it will continue to be a contender to most SUVs. 5-6" shorter than Q7, but has a more comfortable 3rd row and plush 1st row seats.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Volvo's speakers are perfectly placed for crisp sound. However-- like you said "small engine sound"; Good quality sound system is a must with a small engine sound (screaming at times) that XC90 produces when it's pushed. I love my Q7 and how quiet it is even at high rpms. It's one of those marvelous things Audi got right in Q7, neither MB nor BMW was able to replicate. Also don't forget the "safety" features that you can't disable on Volvo, like the base model's lights on dash above speedometer that constantly reminds you how close you are to the vehicle in front. I am sure Volvo will polish XC90 for 2020 MY and it will continue to be a contender to most SUVs. 5-6" shorter than Q7, but has a more comfortable 3rd row and plush 1st row seats.
Agree with every point except the one about safety features. All of the invasive safety feature can be deactivated easily by the driver including the warning light which can be adjusted for distance or turned off all together. I don't know why anyone would want to turn off the safety features in this car though, they have saved me from an accident a few times now.