Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

XPEL for the New Q7

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 Xpel

Originally Posted by Ferrari27
I think the experience of the installer is key. We picked up the Q7 today. I cannot find a flaw from the bumper to the front of the front doors. Attention to detail is perfect down to the underside of the splitter. Full hood, full fenders, bumper, splitter, headlights, headlight washers, mirrors and no defects: + 30 % Wincos IR film on the two front windows. $2100 all in. Love it! He does my '13 S8 in two weeks.
S8 Xpel install complete. Beautiful work & I feel better with love bug season coming up here in Florida. Go for it!
Old 04-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am starting to shop for Xpel. Here is the price list I just received from a local certified installer. It works out to almost exactly what Ferreris27 paid.

Here are our prices for these packages (these prices include film and installation):

1. Full Hood, Full Fenders, and Mirrors Kit (60” Full Coverage) and Bumper – 1899
2. Rocker Panel Kit - add 550
3. A-Pillar and Partial Roof Kit - add 175
4. Door Cups (underneath the door handles) – add 15 each
5. Door Edges – add 15 each
6. Headlamp Protection (not pictured) – add 90
7. De-badging – rates vary according to vehicle and amount of work.

*** TINT - 2 front windows 150
Old 04-25-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW, I would save the bucks and pass on the door edges and handle cups. The Xpel won't help from a good hit of the door on something solid and fingernails can't scrartch the paint under the handles but might catch an edge of the film. Also, the A pillars are a good idea but the partial roof is low risk from stone damage - my A6 is much lower than a Q7 and not one paint chip on the roof in almost four years.. De-badging is as simple as using dental floss to remove them - they are just held on by some adhesive that comes off easily with no harm to the paint. Be sure for those prices they include wrapping the edges of the hood and fenders so the seams are not visible.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larryV
agree... after all, it's nothing more than just fancy plastic film folks. Let's not get carried away by thinking paying thousands of dollars is totally acceptable for this no matter how great the install job. The actual cost of the material is low, rest is all labor, and almost anyone and their grandmother can become a "certified installer" for any of the number of brands whether avery, xpel, 3M, etc. My installer is certified for a few of them and has done numerous installs for me over the years using different brands of film of my choice. He normally contracts for luxury and exotic car dealers who probably mark-up the install to the customer to get to the same insane quotes some of you are getting ($2-4k) lol. But he also does side jobs for a few customers like me for significantly less and even includes a defect and delamination warranty. I usually pay between $600-800 depending on the size of the car, for full front bumper, full hood, full front fenders, side mirror housings, and rocker panels as needed. Perfect install everytime.

My advice is to ask around and find a reputable guy like this. There are many like him all over that do excellent work without the insane pricing. Ask people from your local car clubs, track days, and local fellow car enthusiasts. If you happen to be in Chicago, PM me and I'll give you my installer's contact info.
Well Done! I always appreciate a good negotiation. Yup, just film, but I have zero time to install it. Trying to find a reputable guy, with the correct film for my next ride. Will keep looking. Can't make it to Chicago. Anything north of Tallahassee requires a parka!😎
Old 04-25-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=Ferrari27;24793462]Dropped off the Q7 Prestige for the Xpel treatment on the full hood, front bumper, mirrors, headlights and fender flares today. The installer is certified as factory trained by Xpel. Only 96 miles on the Q7 at drop off.

Added the Wincos 30% tint to the front windows. Decided not to tint the panoramic sunroof.

Should be about $2200 total. Will let the forum know how it turns out

I live literally less than a mile from the Xpel headquarters in San Antonio, TX. The installers across the country are clearly taking advantage of people; being that the bikini bra package goes for $899 directly from Xpel which includes installation, front bumber, headlights, 2ft of the hood and all of the side mirrors. Also the developers are installing so I doubt that any installer could do a better job than they do. I would suggest calling the HQ to see what they suggest a fair price is but ultimately its up to shop where you get it installed. Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Kariquattro14;24803976]
Dropped off the Q7 Prestige for the Xpel treatment on the full hood, front bumper, mirrors, headlights and fender flares today. The installer is certified as factory trained by Xpel. Only 96 miles on the Q7 at drop off.

Added the Wincos 30% tint to the front windows. Decided not to tint the panoramic sunroof.

Should be about $2200 total. Will let the forum know how it turns out

I live literally less than a mile from the Xpel headquarters in San Antonio, TX. The installers across the country are clearly taking advantage of people; being that the bikini bra package goes for $899 directly from Xpel which includes installation, front bumber, headlights, 2ft of the hood and all of the side mirrors. Also the developers are installing so I doubt that any installer could do a better job than they do. I would suggest calling the HQ to see what they suggest a fair price is but ultimately its up to shop where you get it installed. Hope this helps!
Wish it were less expensive, as I wish most everything were less expensive. Little time, two "factory trained" installers. Chose one paid the price. No regrets.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Ferrari27;24803978]
Originally Posted by Kariquattro14

Wish it were less expensive, as I wish most everything were less expensive. Little time, two "factory trained" installers. Chose one paid the price. No regrets.
Wow, there seems to be a lot of variability in pricing. Here in the Pittsburgh, PA area, I'm getting my Xpel Ultimate done right now. Getting 2 feet of hood, fenders, mirrors, fender flares, door cups, door edges, headlights, front bumper and rear luggage lip for $1,085 plus tax.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow, there seems to be a lot of variability in pricing. Here in the Pittsburgh, PA area, I'm getting my Xpel Ultimate done right now. Getting 2 feet of hood, fenders, mirrors, fender flares, door cups, door edges, headlights, front bumper and rear luggage lip for $1,085 plus tax.
While regional competition definitely plays a role in pricing, a full hood requires using a 60" roll which is much more expensive and involved to install than a bra. Here in the Boston area, a full hood of Xpel Ultimate alone runs about $600 installed. Also, some installers use the Xpel pre-cut kits and others will custom cut most pf the pieces resulting in a better fit to the area edges. Then there's some differences in paint prep cost and whether wrapped edges of hood and fenders are included. Not sure what you mean by fender "flares" but full front fenders with wrapped edges would be more costly than partial coverage.

Finally, like most things, there can be a difference in skill level, experience and reputation that might allow some detailers to charge more than their local competition. Bottom line, unlike shopping for a specific model refrigerator, there are many more variables to consider when pricing out an install of Xpel Ultimate.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While regional competition definitely plays a role in pricing, a full hood requires using a 60" roll which is much more expensive and involved to install than a bra. Here in the Boston area, a full hood of Xpel Ultimate alone runs about $600 installed. Also, some installers use the Xpel pre-cut kits and others will custom cut most pf the pieces resulting in a better fit to the area edges. Then there's some differences in paint prep cost and whether wrapped edges of hood and fenders are included. Not sure what you mean by fender "flares" but full front fenders with wrapped edges would be more costly than partial coverage.

Finally, like most things, there can be a difference in skill level, experience and reputation that might allow some detailers to charge more than their local competition. Bottom line, unlike shopping for a specific model refrigerator, there are many more variables to consider when pricing out an install of Xpel Ultimate.
Good points. The front fender flares are the two-inch-or-so rings around the wheel wells. The fenders themselves are partial, not full. I should have mentioned that my guy is extending the factory templates so that all edges will be wrapped. He keeps the car for two nights to make sure he can double check everything after it's set. Has the best reputation in the area that I could find.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Best price so far....

Full hood, bumper, grill, lights, fog light, Luggage area, full fenders - $1650 (add $130 for S line bumper)
Yes, we wrap the edges on full hood, full fenders only. Yes, we remove emblems also.

Quick Reply: XPEL for the New Q7