Anyone here have an MC1 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here have an MC1 swap?

If so, are you chipped? I recall a thread on Motorgeek about the Urq fuel dizzy and injectors not being able to handle the increased fuel pressure from being chipped. If you swapped in an MC1, did you keep the short lines or did you use the 5kt lines?

My problem is this: I want to chip the car, but I want to use the Urq lines.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone here have an MC1 swap?

I have an MC1 swap, but just the block....
Everything else is WX.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Me.. (Sort of)

Previous owner somewhere down the line swapped in a MC1, leaving the stock urq fueling and ECU in place.

When the pressure transducer in the original ECU failed, I converted completely to the MAC 11 ECU and harness, and all the bits that go with it (WGFV and such).

I have just recently got use of a chipped ECU from boxerfan, set up for his MC1 200 wagon.

No wastegate spring change, and it hauls really well.

HOWEVER: I have not monitiored the o2 sensor, so I really have no idea if things are still cool in the mixture department. It hasn't blown up yet thought..!

Other who have done the MC1 swap using urq fueling (Martin P) suggest that it can go lean at full boost. On the other hand, that *could* be compensated for when chipping, if you know what you are getting.

I'd like to suggest though, that you'd be better served by using the ECU and fuel distributor that were designed to work together (use the 5kt fuel distributor), and not do any automotive buggery just for the sake of appearances.

You'll also find that the urq injectors are not air shrouded, while the MC head expects 'air shroud' injectors. Yes, the urq injectors will go in the MC head ok, and seem to work. It's just not quite 'proper'!

Also remember that the CIS injectors don't care what cylinder they are in, as they all spray together. THis allows you to rearrange them in any order that you want to...

Using the 5kt fuel distributor, you could undo all the injector lines, them mount the fuel distributor 'backwards' on the urq airbox.

Then, reconnect the injector lines in a new arrangement to the fuel distributor. The new arrangement that make the most sense, by keeping everything as tidy as possible..
Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had that problem with my '83... it would lean out over 7psi with MC engine..

Had to get the matching MC fuel dizzy, lines and injectors for the thing to run nice and rich with a chip. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Frank.. you should really get an O2 meter, you won't know of problem till it's too late!!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ya ya ya...!

You are probably right Martin.

But should I get a A/F gauge hooked up before or after I:

-Finish fixing the fender
-Fix the other inner fender
-Sort out the non working diff locks
-Replace the shocks, a arm bushings and strut bushings so I don't keep wearing out the tires..

(The list could go on a lot longer, as many urq owners would understand!)

There's enough work to do on the urq to keep me busy as a full time job!

It seems that I never have any time to get to things..
Old 07-20-2006, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, so it seems I need everything MC to bolt onto the airbox.

Oh well, so much for aesthetics.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good idea, Frank.

It seems that reversing the dizzy should take at least some of the slack out of the lines. Will do!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You HAVE to reverse the fuel distributor...

You pretty well HAVE to reverse the fuel distributor if you are using the 5kt fuel distributor with the URQ igloo/airbox & intake plumbing.

You need the air flap at the front, as opposed to the rear on the 5kt. (In other words, you want to exactly replicate the layout of the urq fuel distributor)

What I was getting at:
Nothing says you have to twist all the injector lines as you turn around the fuel distibutor. Just undo all the injector lines, turn around the fuel distibutor, then connect up the lines to the top of the fuel distributor again.

They'll still be a bit too long, but i'm sure with some of those plastic 'injector line clips' you could tidy it up not too bad..
Old 07-22-2006, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I do. But I have the MC1 fuel system installed, so can't tell you much about the UrQ setup.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have an MC1 swap?