HID KIT, any BTDT's out there?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID KIT, any BTDT's out there?...

...mech want to install one to keep switches from running hot. refresh my memory as to what they do and where i can get some. Thanks y'all
Old 07-13-2006, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why not just install relays to take the load off the switch?

An HID kit will provide more light output, but will create a lot of glare. Unless you're retrofitting into a projector, you're gonna be having a lot of light scatter, as a reflector based headlight designed for a halogen bulb isn't designed for the light patterns from the hid capsule.

Much easier to just put relays on the stock wiring. Cheaper too.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can email this cat...

I bought a McCulloch kit for the UrQ, and a K-light kit for the UrS Avant. Both work fine. I think he's got an ad on Audifans as we speak.

FWIW, my UrQ kit uses H4 bulbs. I don't know if stock bulb types are available from him, but it's worth a shot.

Rkorgavkar at aol.com

Guy's name is Rahul, and he's very nice. Kits are Korean, I believe, but they work fine, and they're cheap as all get out. About $220, IIRC, and the harness on mine came with OEM connectors. Minus the housing backing cover mods, the whole operation can be done in an hour by a first-timer.

Good luck, Kid. Hope to see you at UPG this year.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Speaking of relays...

Is anyone out there willing to share some pictures of their relay setups? I need to do this real soon, I have been putting it off too long.

Just want to get an idea of what works good/looks good.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Speaking of relays...

I'm half way through doing mine. As soon as I complete it I'll photograph and spill all the details. It's been done without chopping the exisiting harness, and witout drilling any holes...
Old 07-15-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Speaking of relays...

I took the easy route and used 2B's harness w/ 3 relays when I did the euro headlight conversion. I did have to extend the 10ga feed wire as it was a few feet short,they probably sent me a 4000 harness w/engine compartment mounted battery. I did trigger the driving lights(H1's) to come on with the high beams,(H4's),all works well and I can actually see at night,of course I'm using the higher wattage bulbs. The harness comes with the new style split/flexable cover which looks out of place on an ur-Q, I plan to change it out in the future.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure why my mech wants to stay away from relays. I sent him the Huw plan but wants and HID set.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Should use Relays, doesn't make sense not to and it'll be unreliable.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Not sure why my mech wants to stay away from relays. I sent him the Huw plan but wants and HID s

I'd use the relays, each HID ballast pulls 15+ amps on start. The load goes way down after that, but how much stress can the old wiring and switch take?
I wouldn't use HID's without the HID projectors. It will blind everyone you meet when using reflector housings and HID bulbs.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't know if the latter half of that is true...my UrS has HID's, and they're fine if adj. properly.

Quick Reply: HID KIT, any BTDT's out there?...