If not Audi.... (Continuing the discussion from the bumper plug thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If not Audi.... (Continuing the discussion from the bumper plug thread)

James (and all),

I have been half heartily looking for a replacement car for my wife for a little while now, but I plan to ramp that search up in the next 4-6 months. So, if not Audi, then what?

I'll probably end up keeping my 2 Ur's because I do enjoy them and having seen what the market is bringing lately, I'll drive them until I HAVE to part them out before I'll take the prices Ebay is bringing. So, it begs the question, what do I put my wife in? Here's the shopping list: AWD is a MUST, will NOT buy a NEW car (won't take the hit), will NOT buy an SUV, will NOT buy a Mini-Van and would prefer German (or imported at the very least).

I have been considering, 225hp TTQ, R32, A8/S8, or even a 996 C4 but all the C4's that are in my price range are 99' and 00' and I have heard horror stories about motor replacements. So, the problem becomes, I don't really care for the MBenz choices I have in AWD and they are still very expensive. The 330xi's are okay, but they don't exactly excite either of us. In the VW line-up the only way to get 4-Motion and the 1.8t motor (I HATE the V6) is in the Passat and trying to find a 5 speed in that combo is very difficult. So, you can see why I feel like my only option is the Audi line-up.

Rest assured we will NOT be buying and AWD Ford 500 or Dodge Magnum. She dislikes both of those cars on a level that I just can't describe. So, I am just trying to open some dialog and/or solicit some opinions on what could possibly be some alternatives to the Audi, given my (or anyone's) requirements.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Id consider the AWD Acura.

Plain simple A to B transportation without all the Drama that comes from owning an Audi.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: What model Acura...

I was aware of the MDX SUV thingy, but what sedan do they offer in AWD?

We had also considered the STI or EVO, but she can't get past the wings on both of them. I dislike the build quality of the EVO and the "Boy Racer" aspect of both.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sounds like you want to keep it somewhat upscale, so a Subie would be out huh?

Subies may not have the German feel or prestige, but you can still get a nice sedan, like a Legacy GT, with a tweakable turbo engine and stick for a reasonable amount of money. The new Audis don't cover maintenance items in the new warranties anymore, so ownership cost on a new one will be significantly higher. Not to mention that getting even an A3 or A4 with nice options will push $40k.

The best buy IMO are the D2 S8s. The engines are nice, the chassis is wonderful for the size and the Recaro interiors are excellent. Reliability is good and insurance shouldn't be too bad. I like my A6 2.7 6spd although there is always the spectre of turbo failure with a $5k repair cost floating over it.

Personally, I would consider the new R32 (or is it the VR6 that you don't like...) Get this generation, as the next one is getting a major cost reduction (i.e. cheaper built on all counts). If you get a VR6, get the 3.2l, not the 3.6l. The 3.6 has already been "cost reduced".
Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think he means the RL. Meh.... Might as well say "Whirlpool" on the side.

I would be incredibly surprised if you got anything other than a sedan with four rings on the back. I can't imagine you not have a car that you would not have work on once in awhile. You would probably end up changing oil once a week just so there would be something to do. ;^)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Who me? Upscale? Never!

I wouldn't say that I am trying to keep it upscale, but any stretch. Something nice would be good, but it doesn't have to be a prestigious marque.

Actually, I am quite fond of the STI (although, I can't stand that strange exhaust note), but she does not like it one bit. The Legacy GT Turbo is awesome, but I have yet to have her look at it or drive it. I, personally, have some negative feelings towards Subaru, but that just something I need to work out with a therapist. :-)

As I mentioned the R32 is probably at the top of my list right now. As for the motor, I like the VR6, it's the 5v V6 (A4, A6, Passat), that I couldn't tolerate. My biggest problem with the R32 right now is the price tag. If I am going to go the Sporty 2 Door route, the R32's command a $5k-$8k premium over the TTQ's. Plus, with the TT, I get the advantage of having the hair dryer. Other than the fact that the R32 is going to have more usable interior space, I am not sure that I can justify the premium.

...as for the newest generation R32(based on the Golf V's), I could care less about build quality because that thing went face first at 105mph into the ugly tree and I wouldn't have one in my driveway to save my A$$!

The D2 S8's are probably right behind the R32 on my list, with one major thing that looms over theirs heads.....cost of repairs. Like you mentioned about your turbos, I think the tranny is just a ticking time bomb waiting to be replaced. Not to mention, even if I do the work myself (which I would), the timing belt would be almost $900 in parts to do it right (assuming I can borrow or rent the special tools). I watch the A8/S8 forum from time to time and it just seems that there is so much to be concerned about with those cars, that I should just keep her in the V8 and save the money. I do like them though!

A new(er) Audi wouldn't even be considered. Like you mentioned, the lack of Warranty covered is an insult and the newest of new car (06' and up) are so ugly, I can't stand it. The B7 A4 is painful. In RS4 trim they are BETTER, but that's about it.

The other thing we considered was the Infiniti G35x (X=AWD). The only problem there is that fact that the G35 Coupe is SOOOOO beautiful that I would have a hard time buying the sedan (Coupe not available with AWD). The sedans are nice cars though.

Still thinking about it......
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, just did a search and found the RL....

Yeah, it's just Okay. If I went that direction, it would be the G35x, for sure.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if I bought something OTHER than a four-ringer. I have enough Audi's to work on right now. On top of that, there is so much going on in my life now and in the future, that having LESS to work on would be heaven sent. A big reason for the whole search is travel related. Work has informed me that I will be traveling more and more frequently, so it would be nice to have her in something a little newer.

Has the V8 let us down? Heck, in the 7 years that we have owned it, it has left her ONCE and that was a failed ref. sensor and it happened less than a mile from the house. I am just concerened about the "What if" factor if I am out of town. I probably shouldn't be, but I am.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yep plain awd auto 300ho for 10K less than an A6
Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Volvo AWD?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Subaru is worth considering...

The newer Subaru's are much better than the older ones. Make an effort to drive a Legacy GT or WRX Limited. Both have better interiors, and 2.5L Turbo engines. The new WRX final drive ratio turns fewer RPM than the Legacy GT or older WRX models and makes highway driving more relaxed. The highway MPG on my 06 WRX Wagon has been better than the 02 WRX it replaced. The 06 (5-speed manual) is getting 30 MPG driven at about 70 MPH.
The newer Subaru's also have projector Halogen low beams, big improvement over older Subaru lights.

I sold a 2000 A6 earlier this year, and won't be going for any more VW/Audi products. The Urq is staying with me for now, I've already rebuilt it a couple of times anyway.

Good Luck,
Dave

Quick Reply: If not Audi.... (Continuing the discussion from the bumper plug thread)