New UrQ for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New UrQ for sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

It seems amazing to me that somebody who has something so rare doesn't even know what it's called and puts such a poor description. Audi Rally? ????

This is either the scam of the year or the find of the decade.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ......

I call scam......
Old 03-21-2009, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe. Maybe not. It does look awfully clean under the hood, even if it is missing some things, like the rain tray and strut cap covers.

The other odd things are what seems to be the lack of stripes and body color under the spoiler. Maybe this is one of those cars that got damaged and painted before being sold. I've heard stories of cars getting crashed on test drives.

This is one that would be worth taking a close look at...

Last edited by urq20vt; 03-21-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Still lookin' shady

My request to look at the car prompted the following terse response:
"I will be in Florida a few more weeks. Thanks for your interest."
Scam is looking pretty likely at this point, considering the auction states he expects payment within 7 days.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got a similar response. I do think that it may be for real and that someone is going to get what may be the rarest ur quattro there is for a song, but then again I am a poor judge of character.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
No Bozos!

Hmmm?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, if this "seller" is serious, he really isn't doing himself any favors by not providing a good description or the possibility for potential buyers to inspect the car before the end of the auction. This one has CAVEAT EMPTOR written in gigantic letters. If anyone here is bidding, make damn sure to CYA as there have been a LOT of scams with ur quattros on ebay. I personally wouldn't pay a cent without seeing the car and the documentation. No, I'm not bidding - can't afford it even if it does go cheap. I doubt it will though if it is genuine. I would like think that this is for real...
Old 03-22-2009, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by urq20vt
I got a similar response. I do think that it may be for real and that someone is going to get what may be the rarest ur quattro there is for a song, but then again I am a poor judge of character.
I agree--you are a poor judge of character!

Even if it's everything the guy says it is (a BIG IF), it still doesn't seem worth what's been bid on it. We all know these cars don't like to sit, and it appears that at best this one wasn't stored properly. What's the point of having an ultra-low mileage car that needs a bunch of work to make it pristine and correct?

Considering the multiple red flags on this one, I wouldn't make any move at all without seeing the car and paperwork in person, which the seller has coincidentally made difficult.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

IF is it what it is claimed to be, it is worth the $8k that it is at. NO question. But, there are a lot of anomalies, like the apparent lack of stripes, and misc. parts, etc. My guess is that the car in the picture was painted. That in itself doesn't doom it, but it doesn't help. Never having been titled would also avoid a chance of carfax being of much help. Most of my questions posed to the "seller" also went unanswered, like what dealer it came from.

Personally, I'm hoping someone here gets it or at least does inspect it and reports back.

This reminds me a bit of the "cave car" which was another super low mileage car that was stored for years in a Missouri (?) cave. It looked great, but had serious issues from being stored in a very humid environment. It was moldy in and out, and needed a LOT of work to be brought up to drivable condition. Last I heard a couple of years ago, the bill from the shop working on it was nearing $10k. Considering that most parts are no longer available new, purchasing something like that can be a very dangerous possibility.

Last edited by urq20vt; 03-22-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Repaint makes this suspect, MSO makes this ugly. In most states (IL included) a car with an MSO means someone pays tax on the new car! Bob D ran into this when he tried to register his 5ktq Rally Car that was never Titled. IL Department of Revenue wanted the new car tax!

Too (cough) good to be true? Why the complete repaint? With no Title, this could have been two cars stitched together and it still qualifies for an A Title. Super deal on a non factory repaint? The MSO is probably worth more than the car in actual cash value.

my .02

Scott J

Quick Reply: New UrQ for sale?