New wheels for my UR-Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels for my UR-Q

It was a long process which is almost over. I got my car in october and after spending some money on repairs it was time for wheels. I looked over my options and decided that what ever wheels i decide to buy, they would have to be 16"x10".

The one set of wheels i didnt want are the ones i ended up with.

I was working on a deal for some 16x8" Ronal Racing wheels, however they are Magnesium and in poor condition, and to build them up to 10" wide would be a challenge so i let them go. They would have looked amazing.

Next i set my heart on Compomotive TS, however i wasnt ready to step up to a set of $4000 wheels.

Then one day i was searching ebay and came across some 16x10 BBS RS's which ive never seen before. Mostly they are 16x8 but a 10" from the factory is scarce. The offset was right, but the bolt pattern was wrong, and more then that the auction was over. I emailed the guy, he still had them, so we made a deal.

When they arrived home from florida the real fun started.

I had the tires dismounted to find a few cracks and every wheel being bent to the point where the wheel repairer told me to buy new wheels. well these were my new wheels so i had them repaired.

The centers were painted body colour to match along with the bolts, while the barrel inner was painted silver and the lips polished. The wheels originaly came off a C4 corvette so i had to have the 5x120.65 bolt pattern inserted and redrilled to 5x112. Also the center bore is a large 70.1mm so i had to buy oversided hub centric rings and have them taken down to size at the machine shop because 70.1 - 57.1 does not exist.

After all that fun, today i finally had the tires mounted, 215/40/16, and found out the wheel just barely touched the shock body on the front, so i need to grab some spacers tomorrow and then finally i will have my wheels on.

here they are, 16x10 ET36 BBS RS056

And the junker they are going onto

Old 06-07-2009, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice looking wheels, and lots of effort to get them where you want them. Should look great on the car. Aren't you a bit concerned with a 215 tire on a 10" rim? How about tire rub on the fenders?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have to be honest here, I love the choice of rim, I don't go for the choice in sizes one bit.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well. the wheels had a pair of 215/40/16s on them and a pair of 205/40/16s when i purchased them. This type of practice is very common in the VW/Audi scene right now.

I think the size will look stunning when coupled to my 2bennet coilovers that are on their way from California.

The car is very wide, the current Fuchs S4 wheels are 16x8" and they do not fill the box flares. If you are going to spend the money to build a set of proper wheels, you might aswell make an impact.

I will hopefully post updated photos with them mounted tonight.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use a set of S4 Fuchs for track wheels (w/225 tires), and their offset doesn't quite fill the flares. I use some small spacers (can't remember, maybe 12mm?). I look forward to seeing your wheels mounted. I'm sure it'll look quite aggressive.

Kumho specs your 215 tires to be mounted on no bigger than 8.5" rim. You've obviously got them mounted, so the beads are able to be seated. However, I wouldn't push the car very hard with that setup. Catastrophic tire failure mid-corner won't be pretty. At the very least, you'll mess up those nice wheels!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with you 100 percent, This car is not going anywhere near a track with these tires. My fuchs also have 225's at all corners.

I mounted the wheels today and the car rides 100% better then it did with the fuchs, as the car was sitting before i purchased it and they were cracked and flat spotted. However, im not worried about the tire popping off the bead, ive driven lots of cars with similar set-ups and no one that i know has had any issues.

My 2bennet coil-overs should be here in a few days, so after the ride height is dialed in, the car will be very very nice.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Alright, I'll ask the obvious. Why would you buy a for all intents and purposes,a rally "race" car made for the street, then buy "race" rims, "race" suspension, (with no intentions of "going anywhere near a track") then put seriously small tires for the rims endangering the whole set up and yourself? You have achieved one goal though, I think the look will be "stunning".
Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There is nothing endangering about it. People have been running tires like this for years. The reason its done is because, when you buy a wheel which is this wide and fills the wheel wells you run the risk of rubbing your fenders when you lower the car. The stretched rubber gives you more clearence.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm loving the wheel choice !
Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No offense, but the fact that "people have been doing it for years" has precious little to do with its safety. Lead paint and gost riding come to mind. Maybe I'd take the chance just boulevarding at 10 MPH, but my other point is why put a set up on the car that can't take a strong sweeper at say 60MPH without a REAL possibility/probabilty of something bad happening?
You can get a full wheel well without over stretching a skinny tire. Spacers and camber are your friends which should be very doable with your custom suspension.

Originally Posted by AirCooledRules
There is nothing endangering about it. People have been running tires like this for years. The reason its done is because, when you buy a wheel which is this wide and fills the wheel wells you run the risk of rubbing your fenders when you lower the car. The stretched rubber gives you more clearence.

Quick Reply: New wheels for my UR-Q