Performance Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Clutch question

I have a MC1 in my 1983 Quattro and i also have a complete AAN swap sitting on the bench that wont be going into the car for a while.

anyways, my MC1 is pushing just over 200hp and the car currently has a factory spec Sachs clutch that i noticed is slipping pretty bad recently.

Now i would like to upgrade the clutch as the Sachs doesnt seem to be able to hold up.

Who makes good performance clutch kits for our cars ?

Also if i buy a clutch now, will it all be transferable when i mate the transmission to the AAN or will i have to make changes in that department ?

If the 10V clutch works with the 20V ill buy a really nice clutch setup and use it in the future along with the 20V, if it wont work, ill buy a cheaper clutch for now since i wont need it for to much longer.

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Clutch question.

Stock Ur quattro 240 mm can take lot more than 200HP with no problem at all.
Sachs makes sport clutch for this car with special disc and pressure plate, very expensive. Take trany out and see what happen. My advise is to replace with stock clutch and you should have no problems. Remember to resurface fly wheel. There is a catch - need to measure how much metal will be removed from disc contact area. Samemust be removed from pressure plate mounting area.If this is not done right clutch will slip. If you want better clutch cheap replace liner from disc with cevlar. Local clutch shopp should be able to do this for few bucks. Good idea will be to replace in same time rear oil seal on crank shaft.One more thing, very important - do not lose or bent reference pins on front of fly wheel, car won't start, won't run.
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, the car runs fine now, The clutch only slips when im on the throttle hard. The clutch was new only a few years ago, and the car has very little mileage since.

Also, When i do the AAN swap, im going to be looking to make upwards of 400hp so i want a clutch that will be able to handle that aswell.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.audifans.com/marketplace/...Parts&id=13530