UPDATE.....12/25/05....Whew!!!....its been a long time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumbs up! Different isn't always bad.

urquattros are historic, but I like to see people taking their cars to new levels of craftsman ship.

Beer, think about it like this, if everyone kept their urquattros 100% stock, imagine how incredibly boring that would be. Its 25 years now and a little spice keeps the interest alive. Besides, I have seen only 1 truly 100% stock urquattro and thats the time machine car up in MN. I'm sure there are others out there and I think its equally awesome to have a 100% stock car!

So, I like the progress and will be very enthusiastic about it for a couple of reasons.
1. Its done using an Audi interior from a TT which IMO is one of the most sytlish significant pieces of Automotive design in the last 10 years.

2. Its well put together with alot of attention to detail. No half-*** work here. If you've been following this thread, the work on the door handles, gas cap etc is very well done.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not at all my style either, but to each his own.

He has done some great fabrication to make everything work.

Personally, I have always wanted to adapt a 5kt/q dash, kind of like a Sport.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default There's a thread?

This looks interesting! I'm not a purest so any modification is open, as long as it has a purpose. If there is a thread about this please advise. I've search around but can't find anything.
Happy Holidays!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TT interiors look bad? What are you smoking?

I agree with you on keeping the UrQ stock or close to in terms of its historical value, but you've got some REAL style issues if you think TT's interior looks bad. Looks are arguable (allthough most sane people think its design was revolutionary for a production car), BUT the interior in the TT is one of the best EVER made and it is DEFINATELY better then stock UrQ. I'm not sure what history his UrQ has, but many of them are in such a bad shape, it makes more sence to do a hybrid like what he is doing rather then restoring it to its original glory.

I guess some people just hate everything "new".
Old 12-29-2005, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: TT interiors look bad? What are you smoking?

I do think that the TT interior looks bad. And am proud to say so.....
Like a 50's pimpmobile. To my eye, it's a rehash of some of the interiors that were fitted back then. Black substituted for brightly painted metal. Lots of Bling Bling Aluminium/Chrome. There is nothing innovative about the design, it's all been done before. Maybe it was modelled on the "Dalek" from the UK TV show, "Doctor Who"?

As for the TT shape, it's like a flattened beetle. It also reminds me of a cross between the Karmann Ghia, and the Nissan 200. Not one of Audi's finest design's.......

As for not liking things that are new, well my daily drive is a 99 A6..... I'm thinking of changing that for a 2002/3 later next year. I like the A6 interior, it has that touch of class that has been edited out of the TT......As interiors go, this is much nicer : http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/is/remotemanaged/AETA18875/AETV137510_5b.jpg
Of course I'd have to change any chrome / polished Alloy for a less pimpy look....

As for the UR that is being mutilated, whats next for it? Blue Neon lights under the car? 4 x 6" exhaust pipes out of the back? A 5000W stereo install? Huge front and rear spoilers? 22" wheels? Leopard skin seats?
Rice has no place on an UR......

I suspect that it's ultimate fate is to look something like this : http://www.truss-partner.de/cgi-bin/displayAddPics.pl?bereich=all&DatasetNumber=11 111111187693117

Or equally as bad, this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/audi-coupe-2-2-10v-turbo_W0QQitemZ4600750636QQcategoryZ9835QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

Please, Please, Please, if you have an UR, don't "pimp it up", keep it stock :
http://homepage.mac.com/dcorfield/.cv/dcorfield/Sites/.Pictures/quattro_Talla3.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dcorfield/.cv/dcorfield/Sites/.Pictures/quattro_Talla1.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/dcorfield/.cv/dcorfield/Sites/.Pictures/quattrointerior.jpg-thumb_140_105.jpg

If it's stock appearance is beyong salvaging, why not make it into a "rally replica".
Old 12-29-2005, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wonder what the TT forum would say.

I got bent out of shape once because someone was using an urquattro to restore a 4000q.! Aside from that, there are plenty of urquattros that are sitting, rusting, getting no attention. Which would you prefer?

100% stock is okay, nothing wrong with that, but these cars are 25 years old and many of them will fall into the hands of younger owners who want to modify them as they see fit. There just aren't enough restorers and classic car collectors out there to rescue every urquattro and restore it to 100% original. Not to mention the fact that Audi doesn't supply many of the key parts anymore to do a proper restoration. So In my Opinion, ANYTHING to keep an urquattro running and out of the junkyard is a good thing. That includes neon lights, 5000 watt stereos, etc.

In the case of the TT interior Urq, I still like it. When its done, I'm confident it'll be quite unique and people will definately enjoy checking it out at any show, which is a great way to revive interest in the classic urquattro.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I wonder what the TT forum would say.

I agree, repairing a 4000q with an UR seems unatural. Unless it had been totalled of course....

Maybe it's the image thing. TT's have a reputation here of being bought by women, and guys of dubious sexuality.....And by that, I mean guys that buy Tutu's and handbags....

I don't like the TT. The Car. The interior. It's image. None of it appeals to me.
It just doesn't look right in an UR........
Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Exactly the way I look at it.

I actually think that using TT's interior is a great idea and it "keeps it in the family" sorta speak. Lots of kids modify their cars, but its not thought through and simply revolves around clamping on whatever body parts and stickers they can find. This project seems very different. I think there is a lot of effort and energy being put into this build and I really hope that all works out. Hybrids like these combine the appeal of new with the musk of old and is a great way to attract attention to a car that is lower on the mass popularity scale. Maybe this is where the problem is. UrQ owners are a "private" bunch. This sort of a build is more accepted in communities which are more diversed and I can understand the want to be more "exclusive". Often when the mass moves in, it ruins the appeal of the original and the pictures beermonster posted show just that. I just don't think it applies in this case. It looks like all is done with great taste and from what I read the install spans further then just visual appearance. Think of it as an american hot rod based on early Fords, but with modernized interior comfort. Some are purist and want a hot rod feeling both inside and outside of the car, but most like the idea of a hotrod combined with modern technology and feel.

As for design of TT...I guess again...to each his own. I think that the interior is the best Audi (or pretty much anyone) has ever designed and the brushed aluminum is a great fit on a 2 door sporty car. Everything is in the right place and all looks and feels excelent with amazing build quality. Outside appearance is getting outdated and most are simply used to it, but it looks NOTHING like a beatle. Both are based on the same platform and maybe that is why people seem to link the two. The lines are completely different though. I truly believe that TT's design is a work of art. I also think it lacks aggressiveness and it almost looks too nice and too smooth which doesn't help its "sport" character, but it does look very good. On the other hand, I can not stand the previous generation A6. The 4.2L looks better, but still that car is the worst design made by Audi IMHO. The interior of the A6 is nice and fits the character of the car, but the outside is just...bla. The latest generation is much better though.

LOL we all have our tastes.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh...now I get it.

Its the image of the TT that you have problem with and that is why you don't like it in the UrQ. You have it associated with as you put it "Guys who buy Tutu's" and "Tutu's" don't belong in a real man's car like the UrQ.

TT has style and many associate style with women. Time have changed though Actually there are FAR less female owners driving TTs then there are male. The TT board is full of testostorone and many many many guys modify the car, work on the car them selves and absolutely love having it. Same owners own M3s, RS6s and Ferraris. Many cars are pushing around 300hp, some have over that and as high as 600whp. I think its just the image that you have build for the car that is throwing you off.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Lane Shark

Various threads from the different stages, use his AID w/ perhaps the word "update"

Quick Reply: UPDATE.....12/25/05....Whew!!!....its been a long time!