Ur-Q on Ebay!! Whos this car?! whats going on?!.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay spoof email is different this time.

Different layout of the message, but same scam. The "eBay representative" is now located in NY. The fax number is also in NY this time (last time it was in Miami).

Maybe this guy has been traveling with the money he's getting, or it's another person running the exact same con (original email was identical).

The spoofed email even has some links to an eBay "spoof tutorial" at the bottom to make it look official. It also states, "Western Union is fast, easy and the promptly [sic] way to pay on eBay."

At the bottom there is what may turn out to be a big clue. It says:
"This eBay notice was sent to nelsontorres123@aol.com from eBay."
The spoofer didn't bother to change that line when he sent it to me. That might just be another person he's scammed in the past, or maybe he grabbed that section from a real email eBay sent to himself! It's worth making a note of that email addy.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Thats sad...

Because they consider it an item purchased outside of the site. Even though it's listed on Ebay and there isn't really an item, they won't do anything.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: eBay spoof email is different this time.

What needs to be done is we've got to get in touch with the NYC sherriff's office (I've called a few times and it just keeps ringing - go figure) so they can help track the fax # given. Also, they can help by contacting western union and setting up a fake money transfer so anyone that picks up the $2900 and shows ID as "Kevin Bronson" can be caught. But we need the detectives to do this. The receiver is allowed to pick up the money anywhere in the state that is put on the WU form, or the states that border it. That's a lot of WU offices. I think it's the same person, considering the intial email. They just gotten more "refined" in their follow-ups. The grammar and spelling is still bad but I think that's a trick.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fax # is definitely the key

That'll help narrow down the WU locations. Also, if the cops can trace the fax number, they should be able to stake it out while the bogus info is sent, then just follow the person who receives it and nab them in the act at WU. Whether they're willing to do this is another matter.

Another angle could be AOL. I don't know what their policies are, or how much verified info they have on their members, but we've got several email addys associated with this scam that might be traceable.

Have you tried eBay again? If you're not approaching them asking for money back, but just assistance in getting the authorities involved, they might be more helpful.

I'm hopeful that someone will take action on this. It would really be pretty easy to get this person, but then again they have to also gather enough evidence to prosecute.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone here have any NY law enforcement contacts?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Fax # is definitely the key

I've contact them yesterday as soon as I saw the car on their site. They said the same thing as before: they'll begin an investigation immediately. All I asked them was for help. But I'm sure they'll come back with the same answers but I'm still hoping they can do something. I'm waiting for a call back from a detective w/ the NYPD - Computer crimes division. Anyone wanna tackle AOL?
The problem w/ WU is that they perp can go to ANY WU location the State of NY or it's bordering states. That's a lot of ground to cover.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bidding ended

Wonder if ebay shut it down, the "owners" caught on, or if someone else is about to get screwed.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Bidding ended

The people who run the scam (the "seller") shut it down.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just received another email

This is the one where they say I should have received the message from eBay with payment details. They also recommend that I don't mention to WU that the payment is for an auction because they'll charge me more. This one is also identical to the email from the Miami scammer.

Are you sure the seller shut it down? eBay might have pulled the plug, since you contacted them about it. Then again, maybe the seller figures he has enough potential victims, and he ended bidding to convince them that they are the winner.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I really you guys nail this A-hole.

Quick Reply: Ur-Q on Ebay!! Whos this car?! whats going on?!.....