Help me understand the piggies upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me understand the piggies upgrades

I think it involves gutting one of the cats, is that correct? Is it easier to just buy something already gutted from a vendor like VAST, and can the swap be done easily enough for a regular DIY guy?

I currently have neuspeed cat back and no chip. what kind of improvements can be expected?

thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stock downpipes have 2 sets of cats - precats, and main cats

the piggy pipe mod guts the precats and leaves the main cats in place. FWIW, I am still able to pass Colorado's dyno based emissions test while running piggy pipes.

it also involves relocating the oxygen sensors that were behind the precats to a new location behind the main cats.

yes it is easier to buy them from vast (that is piggy who invented this downpipe) then to do them yourself. that said, they are still a PITA to get to for pulling the old ones and installing the new ones.

without a chip I am not sure what kind of gains I'd expect with piggys.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thank you. does it help with the longevity

of stock turbos? It prob would with the lower heat and restriction, right? I am thinking about doing the MTM chip and piggies.

How bad of a PITA, compared to cam tensioner seals for example?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's a hard job to do without a lift, although it can be done.

Takes about a day, so figure 6-8 hours to R&R the downpipes, then a few hours to gut the pre-cats. Then you have to take them to a welder to have the O2 bungs welded.

Don't know about the longevity, it'll help with power tho...
Old 10-29-2008, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True the above - also, there is a power tool that can help

Access to either a hammer drill or an electrical demolition hammer can greatly speed gutting the cats. I did one with a demo hammer that took like 15 minutes, tops.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think it improves the chances of the turbo living out it's expected life cycle.

It will certainly help reduce the amount of heat the oil in the turbo is exposed to after shutdown. It's probably not one of those things where piggies will absolutely lengthen the turbo life, but maybe one day you are driving hard, don't have time for a cool down, and the threshold for oil coking is nearly crossed. Maybe having pre-cats adds just enough heat to coke the oil, and maybe not having them limits the oils exposure enough that it doesn't coke.

It's added security I guess..... on top of improving sound and power
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default does help address O2 sensor issues

had a CEL for O2 sensors for 18 months. Did piggies, along with relocating the sensors, and CEL went away.

Also did the trick of using anti-foulers to lift the O2 sensors out of the exhaust stream, but that alone did not resolve the CEL.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Default Re: does help address O2 sensor issues

nord1899, great tip on the O2 sensor issue, I just had my first CEL from the front O2 sensors this week and have learned they are quite expensive to replace, another reason to consider the piggy pipes. I've seen lots of commentary on the piggy pipes but no real dyno data. Has anyone actually dyno'ed before and after, or is there any other data to back the additional 20HP(or so) claims?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You'll still need to replace the front O2 sensors.

Piggy pipes don't do anything to the O2 sensors. You can get the O2 sensors for less from Vast Performance. It's something you can do yourself with some simple tools and about an hour of your time.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Re: You'll still need to replace the front O2 sensors.

Thanks for the clarification, sounded too good to be true. Will pursue the vast option and install them myself!

Quick Reply: Help me understand the piggies upgrades