Need advice RE car purchase/title trouble -- car purchased over 5wks ago and still don't have title

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice RE car purchase/title trouble -- car purchased over 5wks ago and still don't have title

I found my new car on eBay -- a 2001.5 S4, black with sport package located in Chicago. I got a cashiers check from my bank(payable to Audi Financial) and flew to Chicago on 3/29.

On 3/30 the seller and I met to inspect the car and sign the paperwork and I gave the check to the seller. On 3/31 I got an e-mail from the seller that he had paid Audi financial and that I should have the title in 2-3 weeks. Well, it's now been over 5 weeks and I still don't have the title. I got confirmation from the seller as recently as 5/3 and was told that the title was being processed and would be mailed shortly.

I called Audi myself this morning, and they won't release any information without authorization from the seller/account holder. I faxed them a copy of the bill of sale and a copy of the cashiers check at their request in hopes that a supervisor would authorize disclosure of the loan info. Even though they wouldn't release any information I got the distinct impression that the seller's loan has NOT been payed and the title is not being processed. I called my credit union and found out the check has not cleared.

I called the seller and spoke with him directly this morning. He swears that he sent the check in and payed the loan off, but I do not feel that I can trust this guy anymore. My temp tags expire in 6 days, and my first loan payment (which is currently financed on a personal, unsecured loan at a high interest rate) is due in 11 days. My bank can't refinance me into an auto loan without the title which Audi Financial won't release until their loan is paid.

Suggestions anyone? Should I give it a few more days to find out what's going on or is there further action I can/should take?

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: Need advice RE car purchase/title trouble -- car purchased over 5wks ago and still don't have ti

If the cashier's check has not cleared maybe you can stop payment on it, and then wire the money directly to Audi Financial.

-Joel.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bought my car in May, didn't get title until August ... from a dealer

...didn't even involve loans, liens, etc. I had to keep renewing my temp tags.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Had a conf. call with seller and Audi Financial this afternoon.. AF has not received payoff,

and from the sounds of it the seller's now late on the last 2 payments. I am (only slightly) hopeful that Audi lost the FedEx envelope with my check and one of his to cover the loan balance.

Going to call my bank tomorrow to find out about cancelling the check and wiring the payment if the seller/Audi can't sort it out by the end of the week.

Figures that this happened the day I received my exhaust and the day after shipments from ECS and AWE arrived... Now I can't decide if I should start modding the car or hold off until I the mess with the seller is resolved....

Thanks for the responses guys!
Mitch