Pikes Peak GTG and Pics in the morning....(kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pikes Peak GTG and Pics in the morning....(kinda long)

Finally HERE!!!
Everybody! There will be roughly 20 cars, mostly all Audis or Volkswagens driving up Pike's Peak this weekend, on Sunday. Please COME!!! AND INVITE EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO COME ALONG!!! It's a great time, and GREAT scenery - especially this time of year, everything is GREEN.

Where: Meeting at University of Colorado, Colorado Springs - Lot 8

When: Sunday, May 28th. Meeting at 8:00 AM until 8:45 AM at CU-ColoSprings I am planning this one early because of Memorial Weekend and the popular tourist attraction - I would like to beat the rush... Plus - the view is best in the morning. SO GET OUT OF BED! I'M NOT WAITING!!! The base opens at 7, so be thankful I'm allowing an extra couple of hours. I, personally, would prefer to be waiting at the gates...

What: We will be driving through Garden of the Gods to Hwy 24, then taking Hwy 24 west to the base of the Peak for a 2 hour round-trip up Pike's Peak! (14k+ ft)

What to bring:
a) BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH!!! I will likely be bringing a small coleman grill, enough to support a couple burgers, and a cooler for my drinks. BE CAREFUL IN CHOICE OF DRINK - Keep in mind the drop in pressure may explode some containers. Not likely, but very possible. Soda and beer cans should make the journey with ease. It is too risky to plan a big BBQ - without knowing weather conditions and RSVPing - though forecast claims 75 deg(F) and mostly sunny, 10% chance precipitation = PERFECT. SO - BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH!
b) CAMERAS - VIDEO OR STILL! LOTS OF PICTURES!!!
c) FULL TANK OF GAS! Climbing a hill for one hour does wonders to gas milege... Please make sure your tank is topped off before we ascend.
d) $10 per person ($5 for children 6-15. free for 6 and under, or max of $35 per car) that will be making the ascent. Do come prepared. I recommend $30? per head 'in case' - food, souveniers, etc... (Too much difficulty to get a group discount.. one ranger (guy) said YES, grumpy ole lady today said 'fax business - blah blah... F it.., it was only 3 bucks off anyway.)

--- DIRECTIONS ---
To the University of Colorado - Colorado Springs: Lot 8...
From I-25: take Garden of the Gods exit (146?) and head EAST. Garden of the Gods Rd. becomes Austin Bluffs Pkwy. Continue heading EAST on Austin Bluffs until Stanton (about 1 mile). Turn LEFT on Stanton, followed by your FIRST RIGHT into Lot 8. Park professionally in the front row. Great view of Pike's Peak from here!
I recommend filling your tanks BEFORE arriving here. There are gas stations on the west side of I-25 at Garden of the Gods, take a slight detour... Here is a map of the college - LOT 8 is denoted with a dot containing the number '8'.

If that didn't work, visit this page...

http://www.uccs.edu/map3/map_rox.gif

To: Garden of the Gods (free)
We will be playing follow the leader, and I will have handouts with directions and maps for all that made it to the meeting place that need them. However, we will be taking Austin Bluffs WEST past I-25, where Austin Bluffs becomes Garden of the Gods. Stay in left lane (Watch out for construction - if still in progress) Take Garden of the Gods WEST to 30th Street (about 2.5 miles). Turn LEFT on 30th Street, heading SOUTH. Take 30th Street about 1.7 miles to Gateway, turn RIGHT. There will be a BIG rock noting "Garden of the Gods"

In the Garden of the Gods:
This may become confusing... but if you can read, there should be NO PROBLEMS. There are only a few (3 or so) junctions that require a decision, if you are lost from the pack, read the signs. In fact, read the signs anyway... in case your leader is lost. Follow the signs that read "HIGHWAY 24 --->" In general, "When in doubt: stay RIGHT". But please, READ...
We will eventually arrive at stop sign. Turn right at the stop sign on to frontage road (you should see a sign once more saying "HIGHWAY 24 --->", take an immediate left, you will arrive at the stoplight at Manitou Ave. Take a LEFT on Manitou Ave, followed by your first LEFT, which will merge us all on to HIGHWAY 24 WEST.

To Pike's Peak:
Follow Highway 24 WEST to Pike's Peak Highway (~5 miles) and exit LEFT on PP HWY. Once again - follow the signs! We will follow the road about one mile before we arrive at Santa's Workshop for another gathering for a few minutes while we wait on those that were stuck at lights. One by one, we will all have to pay the TOLL. It is memorial weekend, so traffic may be intense, please be patient, enjoy the scenery.

NOTE: There will be MANY rangers this weekend. Please do not put your arms out the windows, stand out the sunroof, ABSOLUTELY NO SPEEDING. Drive safe, no speeding, and it's VERY foolish to drift... - They can see the entire road, and all have walkie talkies. It is a public road, remember that - and wear your seatbelts.

Once at the top - we may all decide on a future rendevous point, possibly for food, as we will not see I-25 again until after noon.

PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY INFORMATION YOU NEED. LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING OR NOT. Any further questions?

P.S. - I'm tired, I really don't know if I left anything out. Please let me know... I will be posting this every day until Sunday, will write REVISED if anything changes.

Mike
Diehardnuggetsfan@gmail.com - For those that are concerned with getting lost, please contact me personally through e-mail or a myspace message, I will give you my cell phone number before Sunday - 'in case'.

SEE YA' THEN!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM

Sounds great, around what time do you think we'll get to the Peak toll gate?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Going to try to make it. No promises though.

I would really enjoy the drive up Pikes Peak and just getting out of the house. But I might go with the family and go water skiing on sunday. I have to see which sounds best tomorrow night.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could have gone - sounds fun