RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

The price of power...waddaya mean I can't do that...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The price of power...waddaya mean I can't do that...?

OK..very sensitive subject, I know...
Of those that have modded their Beasts and gotten stung by AoA aka...you-void-penalty-go-to-jail-do-not-get-free-service...what is your average service cost when you take your Beast for routine maintenance....? Just trying to weight opportunity costs...
Old 04-12-2005, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Naa you can do anything you want , its all relavent to how much you

want to spend and how much responsibility you want to take on w/o warranty from audi.

With that said go for it and give us some real figures to see

Like dyno sheets from a customer of the product instead of the tuners dyno sheet.

Thats what I have yet to see here in US is the real RS6 owners dyno sheets of before and after the modifications.

99% of what is out there for us to read that I have seen is all here say and tuners info.

Either not enough of the ones who haved chipped are not on boards or few have actualy chipped.

One thing about stock, I have been very happy with it so far and for stock its great.

yeah I would love to chip it but if were to, it would probably be a AUDI chip under warranty

all this is IMO only
Old 04-12-2005, 08:13 AM

Default yeah seen some responses on RS6.com from real gearheads..

...there are definitely two camps on opposite sides of the field -- like you, I have my AoA extended and dont want to blow away a benefit effectively "paid for" when I bought this car - really just trying to get a feel for costs per visit -- did my homework on costs for potential upgrades - full boat mods as well as things to make the car "more efficient" -- of course, the real trick is to get the dealer to agree that the replacement AM part does not materially affect the wear and tear...blah blah blah...other things are just stupid **** IMO -- example, BBS makes rims that Audi sells (think I saw them in the most recent audi catalog..) -- but you put your own BBS on, even lemans series or rs-gt's and you get crap from them...very sad - they should just sell the high end stuff in parts, take their vig and be done = everybody's happy...
Old 04-12-2005, 08:20 AM

Default minor point - it isn't so much AoA as it is the dealer

I don't think audi america would have any issue reimbursing zumbach if they decided to play nice and fix my onstar, even though I'd an aftermarket stereo system, or give me my one free alignment check even though I've BBS wheels. It is the tight fisted dealer, not AoA, that is the front line here.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would suggest you visit www.sema.org and read up on some legal
Old 04-12-2005, 11:52 AM

Default I've seen the posts before, thank you!!! -- fighting the good fight and...

throwing in the towel however, are closer battle lines then most would admit...you take your chances modding the car..that I understand...just looking for the actual opportunity cost of paying for maintenance, etc...other x-factor of course, is that nobody really drives their Beasts long distances/everyday so getting a real world assessment is difficult...oh well...
Old 04-12-2005, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re:Yeah kinda scary when you get out of town and something breaks and ...

the dealer who has to do work ( your on vacation 600 miles from home ) notices a increase in power and how it shifts , then all of a sudden your screwed cause he logs in your record of the car that it is chipped

Bah its mularkey imo
Old 04-12-2005, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The car is very complete from the factory.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not about the cost of routine service. As an RS6 owner, those costs are a non-issue. It's

about the big ticket items you will get stung for: blown transmission is $10K. How about a couple of new turbos? What about having to lift the motor and the labor associated with that for replacing the motor mounts because AoA says your engine chip put undue stress on them? And don't think you can effectively hide behind the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act because a dealer will find any excuse under the sun and you don't have enough money or time to fight them. Your intentions will be good but you'll never follow through with it.

And that folks, is why I will never chip my car! (Whew, I feel better now!)
Old 04-12-2005, 12:45 PM

Default No complaints!! I agree!! I'm a v-8 guy myself and the animal rocks...and I've had..

the great (mis)fortune of being the recipient of chase vehicle "hand-me-downs" from relatives in the PD..as such, I've been spoiled in the past when I drove much less conservative how shall I say ;P...Ideally, I'd just like to add Miltek exhaust, maybe downpipes, and sway bars front and rear -- that's it..."more efficient" as it were... breath easier, and stay on the road better...not looking to push the engine, tranny to excess..or course the non-Audi products means I catch crap from most dealers...

Quick Reply: The price of power...waddaya mean I can't do that...?