RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Soooooo, what do you get when you combine your wife wanting to drive your RS6 for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soooooo, what do you get when you combine your wife wanting to drive your RS6 for the first time

and a Z06 at a traffic light on a lonely 4 lane highway? Well, she did me proud! (My wife, well come to think of it the car too!) My wife mentioned she wanted to drive the car today. Nice bright sunny cool (mid 60's) day so we went for a little ride up the north shore, on 41 (for you Chicagoans) and swung west on Town Line Road (60). Noticed we passed that Z06 a while back on 41 but wasn't paying much attention to it with traffic being what it was. So, we decide to go west on Town Line Road to get to I-94 and look who pulls up next to us at the first traffic light at I think Waukegan Road (??), Mr. Z06 himself. This idiot starts revving his engine and of course I'm salivating over the prospect of giving it a go even though I know he can probably eat my lunch. To makes matters worse MY WIFE IS DRIVING!!! AGGHHHHHHH!

Me to my wife: "Ok, here's what you're going to do - " (she interrupts me)

Wife: "Huh?" (Oh boy, we're in trouble.)

Me again: "Here's what you're going to do. PAY ATTENTION! Take off the ESP, put your left foot on the brake - " (interrupts me again)

Wife: "Why?"

Me: "Pay attention and listen! We've only got one shot here. So, place your left foot on the brake, your right on the accelerator."

Wife: "Ok, got it."

Me: When I tell you, pick the RPM's up to around 2,000, but ONLY WHEN I TELL YOU!"

Wife: "Ok."

First the left turn green arrows so we're still sitting there, Then the arrows go yellow....

Me: "Now, pick it up to 2,000 and when the light goes green, let up off the brake and mash the throttle and DO NOT let up!"

Knowing that the ECU won't let you keep it at 2K for too long, it was a timing thing that we've all done a thousand times when we had to, but try and explain that to someone for the first time, let alone the first time driving the beast!

Light goes green and WE'RE OFF. Damn, it's interesting to be a passenger under conditions like that. Totally helpless feeling. Car pulls like a damn mule off the line with the boost already up there, engines howling, loud exhausts (both cars) and it's a damn good race. Thought he would have walked away from me. So, at the light he was about 10' in front of us to begin with at the traffic light so we had a little catch up to play, and did. We pulled on him up to about 30. (Thank you quattro!) At about 30 or so, (hard to remember!) we gained slight ground to about 60 or 70, but pretty even. Basically, the cars were lurching back and forth a bit. Around that speed (60/70ish) we moved ahead of him by about a half car length (maybe different shift points?) and was definitely pulling slightly on him. I remember looking over at him as we were going by him as that's not something you can easily do when you are driving. So, back to the race. My wife still has not let up pushing close to 90, which as you know comes up in the blink of an eye, and we remained about 1/2 a car length ahead of him. He lets up, my wife lets up and it's over, just like that.

So now, what's the respectful thing to do? Give a thumbs up. Instead, we slow down and he pulls a ricer fly-by. A job well done by both ladies! So, my wife's legs are shaking, she's got the adrenaline pumping and she can't drive anymore so she pulled over and I took it home from there. I think I owe her a drink and dinner tonight! (My wife, not the car!)

Now, some disclaimers:

The road was empty coming off of a traffic light.
It was early in the morning.
It was a straight shot.
My wife is an experienced driver, just not MY RS6. (Her's happens to be a V-12 SL600.)
I'm sure the Z06 could have toasted us and was being kind to a woman. (NOT!) Who knows, maybe he wasn't racing at all and was trying his damndest to just stay even with me. He did a helluva job if that was the case.

BTW, I saw another Z06 shortly thereafter and a black convertible C5, all in the same block. Wonder if there was a get-together of some sort or does the north shore just have that many mid-life crisis guys? :-)

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 AM

Good Read, fun stuff. It's REALLY hard to not take the bait of those Vette guys.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I let my wife drive it around the block a few times..

She has a BMW which fits her better.. I told her that she would never get over it if she wrecked it and since it cant be replaced why take the chance? I want to be the one who is behind the wheel if something happens..
Old 09-25-2004, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really don't dislike vettes, just not for me. Difference is though

that we can haul 5, with luggage, in the snow!!! Honestly though, shouldn't a Z06 just trounce me?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think I saw you one time in Lyons.....BP on 1st? Maybe not.

If so, I was the kid in the S4 drooling
Old 09-26-2004, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Lyons Township? Not me, sorry.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Fear the Miata!

Nice story...excellent read........felt like I was there...;-)
Old 09-26-2004, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you guys are way too funny.........the red car is my daily driver...

you act like we aren't suppose to drive an RS6.... Just got back from Road Atlanta...race was too fun....the Audi guys did their best to win but with the restrictions put on them....they just couldn't get it done. But an A plus for effort.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default LOLOLOL

Thats great!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I HATE being a passenger!

Quick Reply: Soooooo, what do you get when you combine your wife wanting to drive your RS6 for the first time