RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

2017 RS7 Performance Serious Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RS7 Performance Serious Brake Issues

I have a 2017 RS7 Performance and wanted to see if anyone was experiencing similar brake issues. In February, with 8k miles, the ceramic brakes started squealing when coming to a stop when the brakes were hot or cold. The car has never been tracked. I took the car into my service dept and they called Audi Tech, who authorized a pad replacement with plenty of life left and no explanation. Immediately following that, I could feel the brakes (or traction control) activate without warning in wet conditions. Having come from a 2016 RS7 with steel brakes, I had never felt this sensation before. No light or warnings, just a minor braking event every 20 seconds for 1-2 seconds on a smooth highway, under maintenance/light throttle over 50 mph. The harder the rain, the heavier the brush from pad to rotor. During these 1-2 seconds throttle response is not possible, but the braking event is not long. I did have an interesting event in traffic (in the rain) when the car behind me closed quickly at the same time the brakes engaged and I tried to apply throttle with no response. A little scary, but most of all annoying on a long highway drive in the rain and every 20 seconds or so, the brakes engage; not enough to thrust you forward but enough for passenger to feel and to annoy the heck out of you. I have had the car evaluated by two service departments and while they both agree that it is annoying, they have confirmed that it is a safety feature that cleans the rain off of the rotors. It may be annoying but the car is operating as designed. It’s been a wet winter and this “safety feature” does not seem safe or offer a level of comfort that we would expect from the car. I can even activate this rotor cleaning with the wiper fluid on a dry day. But I have been assured that the rain sensor is fine.

This all seemed to start happening after the pads were initially replaced. Is anyone else having a similar issue? After two different dealership services, I am not sure where to go from here.

Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I am a bit disappointed to hear that about one of my favourite cars. It even more so to hear that Audi says that a $110k+ car braking itself when washing your windshield is "operating as designed". If I were you I would:
1. Go to the dealer where you bought it from and ask them to figure out with HQ how to redesign the car so it does not do this while they give you a 2017 RS7 that does not have the issue (maybe has steel brakes).
2. Do not take no for an answer

I would be curious what is the outcome, please post it
Old 04-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So far, two dealers (service techs) have driven the car in the rain, evaluated, and confirmed with Audi Tech. Consensus is that it may be annoying, but operating as designed for the ceramic brakes. I was hoping others with the RS7 P could confirm the same experience in rainy conditions?

I want to avoid it but feel I am now on a legal course of action
Old 04-01-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hoops25
So far, two dealers (service techs) have driven the car in the rain, evaluated, and confirmed with Audi Tech. Consensus is that it may be annoying, but operating as designed for the ceramic brakes. I was hoping others with the RS7 P could confirm the same experience in rainy conditions?

I want to avoid it but feel I am now on a legal course of action
So the brakes are operating as designed and you are going to sue? Hmm.

Why not get rid of the car?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not that simple. I feel the brakes engaging every 20 seconds or so in wet conditions with no throttle response during that time. This feeling was not present prior to a brake pad replacement at 8k miles. On a long freeway ride in wet conditions the braking is not a comfortable feeling and certainly not the level of comfort I would expect from this car. I have not heard of any other owner experiencing this problem, but I have received verification from two dealers and a third party service that it is indeed happening and is annoying to them. Why should I put up with it and who would want to buy the car? I do not want to go the legal route, but what other choices do I have? Open to suggestions?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That sounds like a malfunction. I've never heard of the disc wipe being noticeable. The steel brakes do it, too, on many models not just the RS7. However, the ceramic brakes slightly apply the brakes when cold to heat them up to operating temperature in addition to the wipe in the rain. Either way, neither should be noticeable as far as I know. Perhaps, because the pads are new, they are very grabby? How are the brakes otherwise? Did you bed them in? The bedding on ceramic brakes is not straight forward as they need to be heated properly. For example, here's the procedure for a McLaren.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-01-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey hoops25, I agree that a legal action will not bring any positives for neither side. And still this behavior from this kind of car is absolutely unacceptable. I'd still recommend the following:
-ask the dealer who serviced the brakes at 8k to fix it/give you another RS7 while they fix it, give them a deadline of 3 days or whatever you're cool with
- if within that time this is not happening, ask for the dealership director and speak with him about the same
- if that does not work - call Audi of America and ask them the same again with a deadline
- if not - call Audi Germany with the same
- hopefully this will resolve it keep updating the post with your results, is be very curious

On bedding the brakes: every self respecting mechanic should have done it before returning the car to the client and should never ask the client to do it, much less a dealership that services a brand new RS7.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, my dealer has had the car in for repair twice for the rotor wipe issue and I had another local dealer evaluate and service the car. All agree that the rotor wipe may be annoying, but the system is working properly. The fact that the wiper fluid on the windshield in dry conditions activates a rotor wipe is beyond me. Neither dealership is willing to take any additional steps. This is not the level of drivability or comfort I expect from the vehicle and I had no such issues with my 2016 RS7. All that said, they are not willing to take responsibility or acknowledge a safety concern or any issue with the car. I have asked my dealer to purchase back the car and take over lease payments. Still awaiting a response.

Will keep you posted and thanks for the responses and advice.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

to this date i have not had these issues on my 2017 RS7 Performance....i havent driven it in the rain though (have 4732miles)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better idea - get an APR Stage 1 flash which eliminates the inability to accelerate under braking, and power though those silly rotor "wipes". Problem solved

Quick Reply: 2017 RS7 Performance Serious Brake Issues