RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

0 to 155+ mph video

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0 to 155+ mph video

The only thing that's better than taking European delivery of an RS4 is ... renting one and not worrying about the break-in period! Here's a link to some in-car video, inside a 2008 RS4 Avant, from about 3 weeks ago. 3 days, about $1,000 in gasoline and 2 quarts of oil.<ul><li><a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-DS_Z6RiQ">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-DS_Z6RiQ</a</li></ul>
Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default why can't the freeways in the US be posted for these speeds?

Ill answer my own question - Because it would be impossible to recondition all the idiots who currently are sipping coffee while listening to the radio while putting on makeup while talking on their cell phone while driving 55 in a 70 while driving in the fast lane while upset with the line of traffic behind them riding their tail - for being in too much of a hurry.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default and you seem to forget that the cost to build our roads for those speeds

would cost 4x what it does now.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Default Notice he had the ejector cup holders, don't know if I would have anything in there at 155 .

plus I don't know how safe even on the autobahn doing 2x the speed of someone you are passing is safe, what if one of those truck drivers was on the phone or changing a radio station.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I noticed that too. I suspect the drivers over there know to pay attention more than US drivers

More training - but I would be nervous passing.

I onced asked a Siemens engineer about the number of accidents on the Autobahn and he said " You only have one"
Old 07-23-2008, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So that states can use speeding tickets to generate revenue....

Idiots notwithstanding, there are roads in the western US where you could travel almost any speed safely.

Do you remember when Montana had no day time speed limit? Anyone know what happened with that?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 AM

Default "reasonable and prudent" was on the books in Montana until 1999, I believe

and after they enacted a top speed law (75) they saw their fatalities increase. Posting a speed limit does affect drivers behavior, adversely, so it would seem.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Default I think the real reason is...

to protect innocent people from being killed by idiot drivers who don't know how to drive 60MPH let alone 155MPH! Remember, this is an enthusiast forum where most of the people who post here could probably drive well over 100MPH safely. However, being a Police Officer myself, 99% of the people who drive on our congested roadways couldn't drive safely if they were the only one on the road. Statistics prove that lower speed limits = lower fatalities. That's why.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I think the real reason is...

...unfortunately, the statement "speed limits = lower fatalities" is just plain wrong. The autobahn's fatality rate is dramatically lower than the US interstate system. In a majority of states that raised speed limits post-55, fatality rates dropped. The bigger issue is (1) speed differentials, (2) lack of respect for other drivers, and (3) people that don't stay in the right-hand lane.

When was the last time you wrote a ticket for failure to yield to faster traffic? I see these signs every few miles in California but no one seems to pay attention. Watching people weave through slower traffic on 280 scares the crap out of me.

And second, why is it easier to get a ticket when the road is wide open (and much, much safer)? I rarely see people pulled over when the road is packed full of traffic going 75-85 on 280, but see police officers with laser guns all the time when the road is empty. Go figure.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Notice he had the ejector cup holders, don't know if I would have anything in there at 155 .

...not my can of Red Bull. My passenger's.

Quick Reply: 0 to 155+ mph video