RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

'07 RS4 or '11 S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 RS4 or '11 S4

I need a new DD. I am currently driving highly modded '01 B5 S4 w/ 190k miles. I have always loved the B7 RS4. I think it is the best looking Audi ever.

I have been leaning towards ordering the new B8 S4 but am really considering a low mileage B7 RS4.

In general the cars have many similarities. But being the **** engineer that I am, I am going thru the +/- of the RS4 vs the S4.

(+)
RS4 is the best looking Audi ever
RS4 is relatively stealth
RS4 great sound out of the box

(-)
RS4 not so great fuel milage
I will loose some horsepower w/ the RS4 due to altitude

I'd like to hear what you folks think. I am not looking the dis either car.

Thanks,

Bob-
Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the interior design of the new S4, but from the outside, the RS4 is better looking, hands down. The new body style looks too big and long.

I test drove them back to back. The RS4 had an "it" factor about it. It had more soul. The S4 was very nice, but would definitely need an aftermarket exhaust.

For me, gas mileage was a non-issue. When spending $$$$$ for a toy car, comparing 20 MPG to 27 MPG was totally irrelevant in my decision making process. For an average driver, the RS4 is going to cost maybe $20 per month more in gas than an S4. When spending over $40k for a car, $20 a month is a drop in the bucket, no pun intended.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spagolli94
I love the interior design of the new S4, but from the outside, the RS4 is better looking, hands down. The new body style looks too big and long.

I test drove them back to back. The RS4 had an "it" factor about it. It had more soul. The S4 was very nice, but would definitely need an aftermarket exhaust.

For me, gas mileage was a non-issue. When spending $$$$$ for a toy car, comparing 20 MPG to 27 MPG was totally irrelevant in my decision making process. For an average driver, the RS4 is going to cost maybe $20 per month more in gas than an S4. When spending over $40k for a car, $20 a month is a drop in the bucket, no pun intended.

I just got back from a back to back test drive.
  • I agree, I like looks of the RS4 over the B8S4
  • The RS4 is less refined, which I like.
  • The fuel mileage thing for me is more about being environmentally sensivitive and not about the extra cost
Thaks for the input.

Anyone else like to weigh in?

Bob-
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went from a 2007 RS4 to a 2011 S4 stronic. I have to be honest; I wish I still had the RS4. The S4 is a GREAT car, it just does not get my blood flowing like the RS4 did. My main reason for switching was a need for my wife to be able to drive (she can't drive stick). My gas mileage so far has been equal to or worse than the RS4.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GregB7S4
I went from a 2007 RS4 to a 2011 S4 stronic. I have to be honest; I wish I still had the RS4. The S4 is a GREAT car, it just does not get my blood flowing like the RS4 did. My main reason for switching was a need for my wife to be able to drive (she can't drive stick). My gas mileage so far has been equal to or worse than the RS4.
I have both cars and I agree with the above. Don't know what all the fuss is about when everyone talks of the B8 S4. As Greg said, it's a great car, but it is lacking everything to make me smile which is what I do every time I get into the RS4's driver's seat. My S4's mileage, however, is definitely better than the RS4's. I consistently get averages of 22-23 mpg whereas the RS4 has yet to see 18 mpg.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by GregB7S4
... My main reason for switching was a need for my wife to be able to drive (she can't drive stick)...
I had the same problem with my wife... and I just bought an '08 RS4 Cab. So I'm keeping my '03 A4 1.8TQ Tiptronic sedan as a daily driver for the winter months AND if need be, she can drive it!

Problem solved
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
  • The fuel mileage thing for me is more about being environmentally sensivitive and not about the extra cost
Thaks for the input.

Bob-
Neither car is environmentally sensitive, so I'd toss that out the window. I remember the day I test drove both. After the S4, I was like, wow, that's a NICE car. But after I drove the RS4, my heart was racing and I had to catch my breath. I was in love. Nothing has given me that feeling since I stopped riding crotch rockets.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

BIG 2nd
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been leaning towards ordering the new B8 S4 but am really considering a low mileage B7 RS4.
Low mileage RS4 here:
http://classifieds.audiworld.com/sho...ct/5765/cat/19
Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thaks for the input.

Bob-
I think you answered your own question after the test drive. Like more replies here, I found the RS4 to be more exciting to drive and less numb and more of an experience. I think it's more of a special car. If you need to be more conscious of the environment these are not the cars to be deciding between. I tried to be more environmentally conscious a few cars back and choose a 2.0 avant instead of the V8 S4. Happy with my decision at the time but I still ended up with a V8 in the garage. So I trade off driving the RS4 and A4 avant(winter vehicle-manual BTW). The Avant has the kid seat in it. No kids in the RS4 except me of course.

Quick Reply: '07 RS4 or '11 S4