RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

2007 RS4: 2 years left on warranty, enough protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you still have yours?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sounds pretty good Tom

Tom, it sounds like it is definitely worth looking at. 7000 miles on a 2 year old car is pretty damn good. I have had this S4 I have now since late 2004 and it has been fantastic and it has 62k miles. No issues at all except tires and a small oil leak on the valve cover they repaired for free. I know an S4 is not an RS4, but I have read no threads anywhere talking about engine or tranny issues with the RS4 that are in any way common. Electrical is rock solid, its only the DRC. I am getting my new RS4 in 10 days, and I gotta say I am doing it knowing I will replace the DRC in a year or two, however long it takes to fail.

Is this in portland? I am over in Richland, but just moved from Portland. You know the climate, cool and wet, but I am sure he kept it garaged and again 7k miles, wow, nice. $50k seems OK, bet you can get it for $47k or $48k with a bit of haggling. But like you said, they are going higher elsewhere for more miles. However those are usually dealers. Bet if he tried to trade he would get $42k max on trade. So work that angle if possible.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2007 RS4: 2 years left on warranty, enough protection?

BTW, my current S4 is Avus Silver and is very sexy. However my last 5 cars, all audis, have been silver. Time to mix it up, my new one is Sprint Blue. Its a love or hate color, but I love it and who cares what others think right? just blow their doors off and let them think about that!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, this is in Portland...

I was following this car, plus three others the owner was selling on eBay. This was the only one that "sold" (although he says they are all now spoken for). I actually called today to find out if the RS4 with 70 miles was still available, but of course it wasn't.

Turns out the high bidder on this vehicle apparently is a deadbeat bidder, so he said if I wanted it I could have it, or if not he would contact the next bidder, who also bid $50K, so that's what he wants for it. Could I get it for less? Maybe.

One thing I'm not 100% sure I like is the clear bra. From the pictures it looks like the complete hood may be covered... but the pictures on eBay are not very good quality. Need to check.

He also told me the rear bumper cover had been repainted because it got some scratches in it. I need to verify if it is just the bumper cover or if the paint was blended into the body. He said "the whole back end" but then said they removed the rear cover.

As of now I'm still interested, mainly because the car is close by and the price is decent for a very low mileage 1-owner example purchased and serviced locally.

Cheers.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I think it is

The RS4 is an outstanding car, DRC not withstanding. My car could not be delivered new due to a DRC problem. That was about 2.5 months ago. I drive the car, don't abuse it, don't track it. I treat it no differently than any other car I have had. The suspension started clunking a few weeks ago. This past week was bad and the car felt floaty on a long drive this past Thursday. I took a look and there is oil leaking from both front shocks. That is unacceptable failure. I, however, bought the car knowing that the DRC is a flawed system. I expect to put the Stasis system in, but I plan to wait until the DRC warranty is over (probably).

I would get the service history from the prior owner's dealer for this car. No reason no to do so. Avus is beautiful (I have Daytona with Titanium) and have had silver or gray cars for years. I love them.

I am not sure if there is a bias to this board or not. Perhaps more people with problems come here - I am not sure. I know I and a friend frequented the boards when we had other Audis that had no problems. I had a B7S4 which was largely bulletproof and I was here a lot. He has a B5S4 and had had nothing unusual happen for a car of that age. Even now, my RS4 has been great. No problems, except for the DRC.

As for extended warranties, I agree that I don't need the extended bumper to bumper. That is silly. I can repair small items. In a car like this, however, I would probably purchase an extended "disaster" warranty. Something that covers catastrophic (albeit rare) failures. Just my $0.02.

I hope it works out for you. It is a great car. It puts a smile on my face every time I hear that V8 come to life.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

True
Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My front 2 shocks are being replaced under warranty 15 months in.

Dealer didn't blink or mention anything about a 12 month warranty period.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No.

I had a two year lease which I extended by one month. The main reason it I did not purchase the car at lease end was that the numbers simply did not work out. It is a tough car market right now. There were a couple of minor issues with the car, but nothing out of the ordinary for a two year old car with 20K miles.
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Avus Silver

Spent some time with the color in different lights. You will find it has subtle blue and purple undertones that make it much less borning than a brilliant silver or other bright metallic silver. Also keep in mind that Avus is a pearl not metallic.

In direct bright sunlight Avus looks one color, in indirect another, in shadow/shade yet another.

Parked alone it might look like a borning silver car, but parked next to one of the 9 million bright silver metallic paints out there it really stands out and looks closer to a grey.
AudiWorld Super User

Good to hear - that is how it should be

Quick Reply: 2007 RS4: 2 years left on warranty, enough protection?