Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That picture says more than any words!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We all clearly made the choice!

- All M drivers say it's OK to drive in the snow, but I haven't seen any of them actually doing that. Instead, I've seen people carpooling and driving grandpa's Mazdas through the winter.

- Since you're asking this question I assume you're not a sicko racer. You don't need RWD to power slide. On the other hand, AWD is overall a much safer setup. When I drive an RWD car I feel how it relies either on my skill or on this brittle german electronics while AWD simply goes where it's pointed to (even with no traction control). This actually makes me think that RWD is simply a bad concept since it cannot run properly on its own.

- RS4 is 5 times more rare car than M3.

- New M3 sedan is ugly on my opinion, but that's subjective of course.

- Buy a slightly used 07 RS4 if you care about money. There's no such option on the brand new M3.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Not really...the new M3 sedans, optioned out, are about the same as a used RS4.

yeah and the m3 would be brand new. which is a huge difference to a lot of ppl. especially with one that was probably abused. my whole concern with the m3 is pretty much i need a car for daily driving and am stuck at the whole winter driving situation. i know ppl say that they get by fine with snow tires but realistically everyone drives a subaru in upstate ny bc of the snow. otherwise i'd pocked the price difference and get the m3, but the winter makes the rs4 seem pretty appealing, and is a bit more of a sleeper car.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

slightly used rs4 is close to the same price as a brand new m3 at a dealer
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default are they still having drc issues?

i'd have thought that towards the end of the model cycle they would have pretty much all kinks worked out, but when i asked about issues on an earlier thread that seems to be a fairly common problem. and i still am confused about the warranty on the drc, some claim 1 yr, some claim 4 yrs 50k
Old 05-31-2008, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default myself and PhantomBlackS4 both owned M3s and drove them in the snow plenty

We both frequent places like Stratton. He skis competitively, myself only for fun. He lives in New Hampshire, myself, in NYC. I have driven E46 M3s in extremely heavy snow conditions (more than 1 inch per hour) more a dozen times because that's the best time to go skiing. I've driven M3s in run-of-the-mill snowy conditions more times than I can possibly remember. I never used snow tires, just Pilot Sport A/S.

I have an RS4. I think the RS4 a great car. The RS4 does better in the snow. I don't think making ridiculous statements about what a BMW M can or cannot do will make the RS4 a better car or this forum a better place to be.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is the most important question to ask yourself in this making this decision......

Do you have the driving skills of a professional race car driver?

If the answer is yes, the M3 is the car for you. For the cream of the crop driver, it's performance limits are higher than the RS4's.

However, for even a reasonably skilled driver, the performance capabilities of the RS4 will be far more accessible and the the car can be driven hard with a far greater degree of safety than the M3. Add to that exclusivity and the RS4 get the nod.

In the end, we are splitting hairs here, however. You won't go wrong with either one, but if I lived in Minnesota, and planned on driving the car in the winter, no way in hell I would buy a 400hp RWD car.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I guess it's still about 8 grand cheaper than loaded M3, but I hear ya...
Old 05-31-2008, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm sure there are people who drive M in the winter.

Here's an example:

My friend had an RWD car totaled this winter because he forgot to turn on traction control and there was some snow on the ramp.

I'm sure there are people who love to slide on the snow. They are probably better drivers than me and most people I know. I guess I mentioned that my advice applies only to someone like myself.

You're talking about something that's good enough while I'm talking about something that's better than that.

You agree that AWD is better in the winter than RWD.

P.S. I guess the M3 coupe is a good car and was very much considering it. Don't be offended.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRC problems do show up now and then, but there are several aftermarket solutions.

Notice that DRC is not on any new design products.

Quick Reply: 2007 RS4 or 2008 BMW M3 Sedan?