RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

4th CEL..im fed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th CEL..im fed up

i think the first two times were 'engine misfires' but ended up being false alarms

the 3rd time, all they said was "no faults found"

4th time happened last night, so i took it in this morning and the service advisor said there was a recall on the software.

im pretty sure they told me that last time as well and claimed they 'fixed' it

is this happeneing to anyone else??...

just for reference, i didnt do anything out of the ordinary
Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As far as I know the recall is aimed at fixing the check sum.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the codes this time?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Bax
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I was also informed about a software recall when I took mine in for the 5k service today...

...although I haven't had any CEL warnings up to now. Hopefully, this fixes it for you.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are no TSBs on the ECU for functional changes

The only TSB goes back to May 10th and fixes a software checksum error

If the dealer thinks that an ECU reflash will fix any CEL code besides P0601, they are sorely mistaken.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no "recall" on the ECU software

If so there would be a TSB out. Specifically ask your service adviser to tell you the actual fault codes found in the ECU. Based on that, someone on the forum may be able to tell you what the probable cause is. Also, ask him to specifically tell you what the TSB number is for the software "recall".

Unless you are somewhere in Europe, there are currently no known issues with the ECU. In Europe, however, there are some issues. But the code is significantly different over there, too.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Scott, recall and TSB not the same thing

often there is a recall with no TSB provided. why would they bother with a TSB if a recall has been made mandatory?

if the 2 different dealer techs in this case are properly identifying a recall, then that's what it is. why are you trying repeatedly to disprove it.

i think it's time to clarify the difference between a TSB and a recall. a TSB is voluntary and identifies a potential problem and a fix, which is authorized as a repair procedure.

a recall is mandated by a gov't entity and forced upon the mfgr with no financial responsibility to the owner. you get a notice in the mail with instructions to take to a dealer and have fixed at no charge. TSB, you need to be aware, as they could make the repair under TSB guidelines and still charge for the work.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 PM
Bax
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Invoice from dealer states "I3 Recall"

Line item is:

TFSI ECM REFLASH
CAUSE: I3 RECALL

I don't know if that's referring to the check sum issue mentioned below, or something else. I asked the SA and he didn't know the specifics.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default okay, i buy that

But I searched on Bentley and on the NHTSA websites and there are no Recalls or TSBs beyond what I have noted.

There is TSB 2013535 which requires an ECU update to solve a checksum problem which shows up as DTC P0601 (ECM malfunction) stored in the Engine Control Module data memory. No
driveability concern.

There is TSB 2014522/3 for the V6 FSI engine which has DTC P1388 17796 (Internal Control Module drive by wire error)

There are no recalls for the A4 chassis during the 2007 model year.

There could be something active out there that has not hit either system, but I'm more inclined to believe that service advisers use the "bad ECU software" excuse much too often.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 PM

Default well, NHTSA site is probably the best source

it's the one i've sourced for years. i don't know how quick they are to update though.

all i'm saying is that TSB's and recalls are entirely separate and arrived at differently.

anyway, i don't believe they would identify it as a recall on the invoice if that wasn't the case.

simply stating that "there is no recall" is not a good idea, IMO. this stuff(recalls) happens, and in this case it's pretty minor.

Quick Reply: 4th CEL..im fed up