RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Alcon 6 piston or keep RS4 stock brakes?... decisions decisions..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcon 6 piston or keep RS4 stock brakes?... decisions decisions..

...car is at Stasis now for suspension... trying an alcon equipped A4 tomorrow.

larry and others, esp those who track/plan to track ?

pads and rotors are significantly less expensive on the alcon...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I'm gonna stick with stock until a track event or track proves them unsatisfactory...

So far, they've been flawless and fade-free for three days at two different tracks, both quite demanding on brakes. The only failure so far was my my fault because I ran the pads down to the backing plates and gouged my rotors.

I know replacement pads are expensive for the stock brakes but at $420 for a set of pads, it's still much cheaper than spending nearly $4k parts and labor to install 370mm alcons. I guess it depends on how regularly you plan to track your RS4. Me, I only plan to track it occasionally if I even keep it that long. If I do keep it, I'll just source some track worthy brake pads when they become available, have some inexpensive ducting fabricated to supplement the NACA jets, put in some ss braided lines, and stick with regular bleeding w/ motul 600 fluid which I've already done. And if I am ever able to make track events a more regular pastime than it is now, I'd sooner get myself an Exige sport cup or GT3 as a real track car rather than bother with upgrading the RS4's brakes.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think that would be a huge step backward.

I drove a B5 S4 with Alcons and they had rattling issues. The other thing is that you have to make sure the pistons are matched with your MC....AFAIK, Stoptech is the only aftermarket brake kit manufacturer who really does that. Definitely more pad choices with the alcons though.

If I was going to track my RS4 on a regular basis, I'd get in touch with Carbotech. They might be able to make a set(s) of pads for you using their compounds for a lot less than the OEM pads. They did this for me when I had Stoptechs on my old TT...the pads were very similar to the old 944 Turbo pads, so they just machined a small area off the backing plate to make them fit. They worked great and were about half the cost of Pagids. I'd give them a call before going out and replacing the already excellent calipers that came with your RS4.

call (877) 899-5024 ask for Matt. Let us know what they say, I'm curious if they can do pads for the RS4 too.<ul><li><a href="http://www.carbotecheng.com">Carbotech</a></li></ul>
Old 08-31-2006, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default see above...have you tried Carbotech?

they'll do custom pads for the RS4 that would undercut the OEM price significantly. their compounds are very good...I've used the Panther P+ for auto-x, and was very happy with them. They can provide the same pads for your rears too.

worth a look, at least until Pagid, Hawk and the others start to offer competitively priced pads for this application.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default yeah I'll probably contact them and send them my old worn-to-nothing pads if necessary...

if nothing else turns up from hawk or others soon.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:27 AM

Default I think people who track ~ 6/yr. will end up where RS 6 owners were...

1. Frustrated, but willing to pay for a set of track pads per 2 days of lapping and a spare set of rotors for tracking.

2. Go Alcon.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll have to disagree with Bob here. Get the STaSIS/Alcon set up. The kit is much lighter than...

The OEM set up which will help with unsprung weight. Generally the Alcon rotors are of better quality (material used in their construction) with better venting/cooling, they also use an innovative gas slotting process which makes brake application as smooth as a baby a$$ while venting the gases and cleaning the pads. Their calipers are also of superior design.

There are not too many car manufacturers who design their road cars with brakes that can withstand the abuse of track days (Porsche being one of them). Not saying the RS 4 brakes a bad or weak, I'm sure they are good but track punishment is another thing all together.

Most people that track their car regularly upgrade their brakes. Just ask the BMW M3 crowd. Many of them upgrade to Stoptechs because their OEM brakes won't survive on the track.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Keep....

My friend just got the 13" 6 piston alcons on his A6 and I have been driving his car a lot lately. The alcons are amazing, but I don't think they are better then the RS4's brakes. Spend the money on something else, unless you would like the look of the entire STaSIS setup.

Also, the alcons are very noisey, at least on my friends A6
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Former Vendor

Default It sounds to me like the B5 car you drove had an error with installation.

To go on this forum and post about a situation like that is useless and ill-informed. We sell Alcon's for STaSIS and they are arguably postitioned at the very top of the industry, with Brembo. I would suggest you look at Alcon's offerings before trashing them. Alcon supplies F1 cars with brakes! Do you think they can't make a better kit for your RS4 than the factory did? Wrong answer. Will they officially offer a B&amp; RS4 kit; we'll know soon.

'Car &amp; Driver' thinks the STaSIS Alcon's rock and roll, I think they know a thing or two:
Note the news article on 10/10/05:

http://www.stasisengineering.com/news.aspx

Pads alone do not keep a 4000 lb. car on a track lap after lap, you need a top notch rotor and caliper that can resist flexing and shed heat. I'd like to show you what some of my used rotors look like from serious track use. Pad choice is important, but secondary to the brakes themselves.

Does Carbotech sponsor you? It sounds like it.

Take a look at the Alcon site for brakes that help define the top offerings for street cars.

I also attached a picture of some brakes I happen to be partial to.....<ul><li><a href="http://www.alcon.co.uk">http://www.alcon.co.uk</a</li></ul>
Old 09-01-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stick with the stockers until you find them unsatisfactory...you can always upgrade later

What suspension are you getting for your RS? The Motorsports/Olins

Quick Reply: Alcon 6 piston or keep RS4 stock brakes?... decisions decisions..