RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Any ideas on upgrades of the rear breaks on the beast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas on upgrades of the rear breaks on the beast?

I'm a bit concerned while breaking hard on high speeds and empty (the rear sways a bit). I know this is not a problem but for psychological reasons :-) I'd like to upgrade the rear brakes.. I guess a bigger disk would do it but what about 2-or-4-piston brakes? Is it too much?

Gracias!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That would make the rear end sway even more. I think the issue is DRC related.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The issue is indeed suspension. The S4 does it as well only not as bad...

It will go away by siffening up the springs and dampers. Right now, the rear has a very slow then scary break-away. It kind of slops out to the side like a bowl of jelly, but then once it redistributes the weight it will snap around a bit. It's an odd feel. Coilovers will solve the problem.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agee with the guys below... I have Stasis Ohlins and its a whole different car...

... a much nicer, less scary, and much faster car. Check out my pic poster for some shots at Laguna. A friend (that races Formula BMW) drove my RS4 at Thunderhill with DRC and was a little sketched out on how the suspension made braking scary. After the Ohlins, all my racer buddies love it. Great brakes once the suspesnsion works.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: The issue is indeed suspension. The S4 does it as well only not as bad...

Re-distributes the weight???
Old 02-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: That would make the rear end sway even more. I think the issue is DRC related.

That's what I've read, the DRC causing that...at least that's what they(testers) are attributing it to.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I felt it slightly on the street...but not as bad as other journalists are claiming.

I think all S4's do this to some extent. It's partically due to the weight distribution under braking. There isn't much weight on the rear wheels.

However, I've found the "wiggle" isn't hard to keep in check. It's more of an alarming feeling than a dangerous situation.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: I agee with the guys below... I have Stasis Ohlins and its a whole different car...

Now, that makes sense.. hm.. I'm in a different shopping attitude right now :-)

THANKS GUYS! I thought it was a break/weight issue specially when the car isn't carrying any passengers at the back...

on one occassion it was indeed a bit scary although I never lost control..
Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 PM

Default It's described...

as a vaguely loose feeling at the rear of the car during high speeds. What I read early on was they were feeling this strange sensation at high speeds on the track during testing. So, I think they are talking about something other than a looseness at rear during breaking. I think that's more typical though and I've felt the same on the S4.

Well, the shifting weight and loss of some rear grip during braking, especially braking/cornering is understandable. There's very little front end dive in Audi's though, so that helps.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Front end dive.

Audi's in general will exhibit more front end dive then many other cars since the motor sits infront of the alxes. A rear engine car such as a Porsche would have less front end dive then an Audi. BMW's with their 50/50 weight distribution would be better then Audis but not as good as say a Porsche. Stiffer springs and better dampers will help this though.

Quick Reply: Any ideas on upgrades of the rear breaks on the beast?