RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Anyone ever tried this RLI BioSyn Oil to reduce carbon buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever tried this RLI BioSyn Oil to reduce carbon buildup?

Just stumbled on a few posts that sound quite interesting in reducing our carbon monster situation....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1325647&page=1

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...LI-BioSyn-5w40
Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Direct quote from a guy who switched to BioSyn oil after being fed up with carbon build up back in 2009....he does his own carbon cleans....

I had the manifold off the fourth time about a month ago when there was close to 3000 miles on the Biosyn. The valves were not clean, but it was more of a thin, oxidized film of oil, rather than thick, gooey, flow-blocking black crud (which was the case after 4000 miles of factory oil, 4000 miles of Mobil 1, and less than 1000 miles of Castrol TXT). I was pleased and will certainly keep using the Biosyn. I am sure Scott could fill you in on the chemistry that makes the build up rate noticably less. I also use the Biosyn fuel conditioner (2 oz) with each fuel fill of Shell gasoline to make sure the injectors stay clean. With the FSI aspect of the 4.2L engine, I believe that sparkly clean valves is just not a realistic expectation - even with Biosyn. But I am happy with how its working thus far. The aspect that really hasn't been discussed is the affect that the oil "contaminated" intake charge has on optimum spark timing. The advanced RS4 ECM's and knock sensors seem particularly sensitive. After endless logging, I have a few cylinders that have timing retarded 4-6 degrees under moderate loads and 9-11 degrees under heavy loads. That is significant. I live in the Midwest and am stuck with Ethanol blended fuel even in the 91-92 octane Tier 1 fuels (Shell included)- that could be part of it, I don't know.

As far as my cleaning method, it was just the old fashion way. In six of the eight cylinders, the intake valves were completely closed, so I just poured in several ounces of carb cleaner right into the intake ports and let the valves soak several hours. Then a majority of the crud comes off with aggressive scraping with an appropriately shaped metal tool. The valve stems block the ability to scrape the area behind them. Vacuum out the mess. Then I poured in fresh solvent and put a small Dremel-type wire brush tool on the end of a cordless drill. Scrub, scrub, scrub. The varnish layer of buildup on the valve surface is very, very hard. This method is limited and removes 90% of the build up at best. The walnut shell blasting would be far better. I have access to such blasting equipment and media, but its ridiculous that I or anyone else has to consider such a chore ...warranty work or not
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

*yawn*. It's great oil for an FSI motor because it mitigates fuel dilution and the resulting metal wear if you don't change your oil every 3K miles or less, but nothing liquid (short of hot caustic NaOH) will keep the carbon monster away from our intake valves.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

You don't run it in your car Elevens?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope. I run Audi approved 502.00 Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and change it out every 3-4K miles. Several UOA tests have shown it performs VERY well in my RS4 if changed regularly. MUCH better than the factory swill (I've tested both many times).

RLI BioSyn is good oil and it does allow you to run extended OCI but I'd rather run a "cheaper" (lol) synthetic and change it out more often. That's just me. BioSyn is a good oil for sure but I'm convinced nothing (yet) will fix address elephant in the RS4 room (carbon buildup) other than manual methods.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 02-15-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good deal!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is my first Audi and honestly my first really nice car (IS300 before which was super low maintance and a breeze to work on). I bought it on a whim and immediately bought Audi Care Plus thinking it MUST be the best option. They told me it covered all oil changes between the 55k, 65k and 75k maintenances, only to find out they don't recommend any oil changes between those mileages and they use crap oil. So basically I paid 1100 bucks (non refundable) for 3 oil changes and spark plugs, haha. 10k mile oil changes on a car that redlines at 8250? What a freaking joke. So, I'll be switching every 5k miles between good euro oil and whatever crap the dealership gives me.

On a positive note I had a great conversation with a guy at VWerks in Falls Church VA today and he seemed very nice and knew his stuff (only work on Audi/VW). They are going to send me a quote for the carbon clean and it sounds like they are pretty familiar with it (they have great reviews online). If the price is right and they do a good job I'll make sure to share my experience with everyone since I know there are a lot of DCers here.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're gonna love your car after carbon clean! Yeah let us know how they do and take plenty of pics! My place had my car for a week and I was there everyday taking pics when they did the carbon clean! I think me and gibson are gonna try this Biosyn oil and check out if it does lower oil temp and create less black smoke and soot on exhaust tips...we'll report back on how we feel about it...hopefully it will cut down on a lil bit of oil consumption too...cuz we all know our cars drink oil! LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a link for anyone looking into BioSyn, took me a while to find this stuff http://renewablelube.com/shop/index....&path=67_68_81 .

It's certainly not cheap but what's another 50 bucks per oil change if it helps increase mileage between carbon cleans.

It's probably not worth it to go 5k miles BioSyn then 5k miles dealership oil for the next 30k miles huh. Definately interested to hear how it works for you though.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

We found it at Grainger for much cheaper(and they stock it)....its not that much more than what we're already spending for Castrol...

Quick Reply: Anyone ever tried this RLI BioSyn Oil to reduce carbon buildup?