RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Anyone here have experience with Ebay vehicle purchase protection plan....(longish)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here have experience with Ebay vehicle purchase protection plan....(longish)

as a buyer? A co-worker is looking at a preowned 07 RS4 with 6k miles for what seems like a rediculously low price. Evidently he'd be able to return the car within 5-7 days if there is a significant problem with the car. The private seller is on vacation in Hawaii and "only able to correspond with email" at the moment. Is this ebay ppp a reliable way to buy a car?? Thanks for your collective experience in advance. (Oh, and the seller lives in the same state)
Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like a scam. "Vacation in Hawaii" LOL
Old 12-04-2008, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Think so?? How 'bout this....

"The financial part of our transaction is going through eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program and here are the steps:
- I need your full name, shipping address and phone#
- I will forward this information to eBay VPP and they will start our transaction
- eBay VPP sends you the invoice with payment details for our transaction
- payment must be sent through Bank Wire Transfer to the eBay VPP bank account managed by one of their transaction officers.
- after they secure the payment in their account, they will notify me and I will start shipping
- shipping will take no more than 7 days depending on your location
- after you receive the vehicle you will have another 5 days to inspect it.
- when the inspection period ends eBay VPP contacts you and if there are any issues with the car, they will fully refund you within 3 business days and the car will be shipped back at my expense. If all is good with the car, which I'm sure it will be, they will assist you with the title transfer and release the payment to me.
If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number, in order to start the transaction!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dude, no way you should even consider this!

You should never have to give your information to the seller to provide to ebay, first of all. Why would the seller do this? Its an electronic world, you would deal direct with Ebay and the seller would have no interaction here. Also, why does it have to be a bank wire? Its the most untraceable way to send money, thats why he wats it like that! No recourse for the sender. Once that money is in the wire its gone.

Email him back and mess with him. Say "I want the car, but can only do a transfer to a commercial bank account from my bank that is providing the loan. Please send me your bank AFBMA # and account name, and I will send the money that way. If not, then lets do a PayPal transfer to a secure transaction account, give me your Paypal email accoutn and I will start the transaction process"

He will start making up **** about he doesn't have a paypal account, and his bank is not secure or soemthing else. You will see, its a total scam. Also while you are at it, report him to Ebay.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That sounds like a load of horsepoop. Stay away!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:11 AM

It is a scam...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

scam for sure
Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Anyone here have experience with Ebay vehicle purchase protection plan....(longish)

Ya I'm running into the same exact thing, but my seller is in Tokyo on a business trip and has to sell the car before he gets back LOL!! Really wondering how many people are falling for this scam, its very widespread and the whole vpp through ebay sounds really dam good.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:08 AM

Default 2nd

request pictures of the trunk, under the car and under the hood and some random crap like paint change requests, switching out steering wheel, tire pressure settings, etc. Have fun!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Funny how it's not even on ebay, but on autotrader.com in Mass.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have experience with Ebay vehicle purchase protection plan....(longish)