RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

AofA stepping up to the plate on latest DRC repair! Thumbs up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AofA stepping up to the plate on latest DRC repair! Thumbs up!

As most of you folks may recall, after coming in for leaking 2 fronts and having those replaced in early Dec, within 200 miles the driver's side started leaking again. The early repair only 'called' for shock replacement (per dealer as that's all Aof A authorized), and valves were unchanged.

In the meantime of course AofA announced the new revised shock part numbers (with 'b' at the end) and I waited to make sure those came in time for the swap. Also, in that time frame I called AofA to document the second occurence and batted to get the other front replaced, on the premise it is the old part number and I will be driving on a mixed bag of goods, especially since they are on the same axle. Had an anticipated pushback, to the tune that if it ain't broken don't fix it. I was certain it will be a matter of time before the passenger side front started leaking anew, as one failed within a couple of hundred miles, and the valves were never replaced.

So the car has been with the dealer all week, and finally I got a call that pleasantly suprised me. Dealer got clearance from AofA to replace all 4 shocks and both valves! So comeplete fresh setup with the alleged improved design (to be seen). Dealer was kind enough to throw in a 4 wheel allignment as the car really has not been itself in some time now with these issues (the latest being that the car started rubbing at the rear on undulations, suggesting either there is not enough hydraulic fluid, or pressure in the system has eroded).

I know all of us experiencing DRC issues are unhappy, but this case proves to me Audi is trying to do the right thing. It is def costing them money, negative publicity, buy-backs, and perhaps a diminishing brand loyal customer base. Let's hope this is the last time I deal with this...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

You gotta be kiddin' me...NO PICS of the M5 in your pic poster????
Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Similar situation here, different coast, same response from dealer/AoA. Very pleased.

I'll add some more details since it seems relevant. One shock was leaking, dealer replaced both with the new 'B' part after getting approval. I did not call AoA and trusted the dealer would take care of me. They did not disappoint.

From what I gathered thanks to my bat-like ears, the dealer distribution network is purging the old parts and will fill the inventory with the revised 'design' which amounts to a better interface between the shock and the DRC tube. No changes are being made to the dampening characteristics, or anything else. They put the same dust covers on, and unfortunately didn't take the time to clean the old oil off, which I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

While the car was there I had them check the control arm bushings as well as upper shock mounts, for any premature wear (due to reports here of clunking) and they found no signs of any of that (10k on the clock). The valves were replaced, the system was charged and I've put 250 blissful miles on the car and the shocks are still try. Fingers crossed.

-Matt
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Both of my front shocks were replaced recently. Had awful knocking noise from rear since then ...

I'm not sure if the valves were replaced, or whether the revised part numbers were used. Anyway, my car has been in the shop all week for having the DRC re-fixed, and they are having a 3rd attempt to fix my nagging EPC warning light.

2 weeks ago Audi instructed that the intake manifold should be replaced to fix the EPC light. Within a week the EPC light came back on and Audi wants to replace the already new vacuum activitor (?) with another new part. At this point I am a little sceptical that replacing a brand new part with another new part will make any difference...
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Too little to late. I just received my Motorsports from Stasis.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default They are jsut tearing the crap out of your car. I hate me car in the hands of others that's why I

got an aftermarket suspension.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

how many miles on your car?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:34 PM

right around 15K
Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Good to hear this seems to be the norm than the exception

Perhaps Audi thinks they have found a cure for the dreaded leak with the newly released part and on cars that are either repeat DRC 'offenders' or have more than one leak they are just doin the full monty.

Dealer told me parts alone ran over $4,500!
Old 01-31-2009, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good to hear! Keep us posted on how they hold up.

Quick Reply: AofA stepping up to the plate on latest DRC repair! Thumbs up!