RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Avant Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avant Project

I'm getting up in mileage on my B5 S4 Avant, and can't bring myself to buy a new S4 with less power and more weight than my current (modded) one. Like 35% of the posters here, it seems, I want an RS4 Avant. My choices seem to be:

1) Try to navigate the grey market. A friend imports cars where you purchase overseas, put on roughly 4k miles, and then import the car as your own "used" car without having to federalize. I'm drilling down on the details, but it seems from posts here there are at least a few RS4 Avants on American shores. I'm trying to get a bead on how time consuming this is, and the amount of the premium (relative to options below).

2) Buy an S4 Avant and drop it off at Hoppenmotorsports for an MTM conversion to RS4-ish capabilities. Figure $30k all in + cost of S4 Avant.

3) Buy an RS4 Sedan and perform a body-shop conversion. FrankenAvant. There was someone on the RS6 site who did this with the C5 RS6 to create an Avant. I'm not sure if this would cost more or less than 2) above, but I'd get a pure mechanical RS4 as opposed to an S4 on steroids, so I'd prefer this. No-one ever blew an engine from bodywork.

While 1) is dicey, the latter two are certainly possible. I live in NYC, and can't really deal with two cars, so it's worth my paying a premium to get the Avant. Comments, ideas, flames?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It seems that the easiest way to get a RS4 Avant here would be to...

Get a B7 S4 or A4 Avant and convert it.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would go grey market to get it in.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can't import it

If the model is not sold in USA, you cannot import it. This is due to safety standards/testing regulations. Unless you are a diplomat or using the car in a show, it won't be allowed past customs. I tried this with an S3 years ago, did quite a bit of research. Your best bet is to mod an S4 or "settle" for an RS4 sedan.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default actually you can, but only for a limited time IIRC.

one example is active military stationed in Europe. they can bring any car here and register it for road use, but only for a limited time (IIRC 12 months). there are a few other loopholes...'show' cars, etc. there was someone with an S3 up in WA a few years ago, not sure if the car is still in the US.

the other option would be to pay to have the model federalized. obviously this would mean buying several RS4 Avants for crash testing, etc. not cheap, but it is possible.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: You can't import it

Sedan is really not an option - I'm either going to retrofit an A4 Avant tail on an RS4, or supercharge & coilover an S4 Avant. Former is a bit more expensive, but I think I'll end up with more reliable mechanicals.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would not own an RS4 Avant in NYC..period.

You obviously forgot about all the S4s stolen in Jersey?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You didnt talk to the right people...

Lots of people brought in the first RS4 Avant...Jack Silverman brought in three of them.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Can you buy them anywhere else in the Americas? Then drive it over the border.

When it comes time to register it in your state, just call it an RS4.

Not sure how realistic this, but surely there is a process by which someone who lives in Canada or Mexico who moves to the US can register their car? Maybe there is a loophole that would allow you to get one that way.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i'd love to see you succeed, good luck!

Quick Reply: Avant Project