RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

It was between the PZero and PS2 and I ordered...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It was between the PZero and PS2 and I ordered...

the PS2's. From all the comments I gathered from various sites, tests and reviews the PS2's are the best all around summer tire. A lot of people complained that the P Zero Rosso's were noisy and wore down too quickly. Can't go wrong w/ the PS2 it seems although there were recurring comments of understeer, just what the RS4 needs lol.

I've never had a Michelin tire before, hope they're good.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the PS2s on the RS4.

I've just recently had my dealer put a new set of P Zero Rossos on my RS4 after 24k kms.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not at all impressed with PS2's. Decent wear, yes, but not a good track tire, and, at the price, offers nothing more than a set of Falken FK452's.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, what street tire is a good track tire on a 3800 pound car? I've raced in street tire classes in other types of cars and all things considered for aggressive street/touring, the PS2 is an amazing performer. The Falkens are very good tires for the money, though - is the RT-615 (or whatever their top tire is called) available in a 255/35/19? Even so, that tire will ride significantly harder than the PS2 if its anything like the RT-215. As a side note, I believe most of the One Lap competitors used PS2's.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've done exactly one track day w/ the RS4 and while fun, it's just not as intense or exhilerating like motorcycle track days. Car days feel a little pedestrian in comparison.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I’ve always had the Michelin PS2’s and I’m trying something new next time around, based on the understeer bonanza (This might not be the tire but just Audi trademark) and when they go, they go, with no warning at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's the same rep they have w/ motorcycle tires> when they go...they go.. no warning.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think that the Bridgestones are more apt to let go without warning.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default PS2s

My car came with PZero Rossos and they wore out after 15k miles. They always deformed badly when the car was left in the garage more than two days. Toward the end of their lives, the Zero Rossos felt very, very sloppy. They skidded a lot, dry or wet. I switched to PS2s and the difference was night and day. I agree with many people -- it's not really a track tire, nor is the RS4 an ideal track car. On back roads, however, I never seem to make the PS2s squeal and I don't get the amount of understeer. Now I run them around 40 psi in everyday use. They're quiet and fantastic in the wet, much more responsive than the zero rossos, and stable and quiet at triple digit speeds.

From a geeky tire technology standpoint, our local tire dealers say they're really advanced tires, with their aramid fiber reinforcements and combination of two different rubber compounds. If you look at the latest offerings from Goodyear (asymmetrics), Continental, and even Bridgestone, everyone else is going to their version of a similar design (longitudinal channels, asymmetric tread patterns, wide outside shoulder blocks). They're also amongst the lightest tires you can buy (about 25 pounds a piece in 255/35/19). I'm considering trying Bridgestone Potenzas RE-11Rs but they're about 30 pounds a piece. I got 22k out of my last set of PS2s. Even after a week in the garage they don't deform. The last set I had were still great in the rain despite being down to wear bars. I believe w PS2s you really get what you pay for. Every Porsche, M3, Vette ZR-1, and even the Bugatti Veyron uses some version of the PS2. There was a recent Motor Trend comparison of the Porsche GT2, Ferrari 599, Vette ZR-1, and Nissan GTR. The Porsche and Vette used PS2s while the Ferrari had the new Pzeros and the GTR had Bridgestones. This isn't exactly statistically compelling, but both the Ferrari and GTR had serious tire failures while the GT2 and Vette had no troubles with their several high speed runs. The Bugatti Veyrons have also never had tire failures in high speed testing in all the magazine articles I've ever seen. I like the PS2s a lot and feel secure having them, despite the expense.

My 2 cents. Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 03:58 PM
EJO
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys, I'm an RS4 newbie who just moved over from the E46 M3 camp. I recently ran into the same tire dilemma, I bought the car with the PZeros and had a blow out (stupid pot holes!!!), tires were the original set and close to gone so I bought a whole new set. I ultimately decided on the Michelins, decision was swayed by the great experience I had with Pilots years ago on my 20th Anniv GTI...I upped to a 275/30 on my RS4 and I've loved 'em so far (approx. 2K miles).

My two cents...have a great 4th all. -E

Quick Reply: It was between the PZero and PS2 and I ordered...