RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Bid fairwell to my RS4

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bid fairwell to my RS4

Well she just was not getting driven enough this past year, always behind her other two stablemates my wife does not drive and even behind my bikes. I just don't need the 4 doors anymore. So I sold my 2007 RS4 and wrote a very positive review of the RS4 on Cars.com. In the end, it will go down as probably the best performing car I have owned. While that was not enough to make it my all time favorite, it speaks volumes about the cars genes. I will replace it with a 2 seat exotic soon. I will remain on this board as I have been won over by Audi engineering, quality, and styling and believe it now leads the German pack in that regard. Besides, my wife still has her Q7, which we may replace with . . . a Q7.

Here is the review I posted on Cars.com. Don't know if it has been posted yet, so I thought I would post it here.

<B>RS4's Don't Tap</B>

Quick, say to your wife, "honey, lets get a Ferrari." Bad outcome huh? Hmm, try this, "how about a 4 door Audi 4 series instead?" Now wipe that lipstick off your brow and head to your local Audi dealer; feel smug over your clever deception.

You see, the Audi RS4 can handle most Ferraris just fine (well not really, but yes really with a typical Joe at the helm who thinks heel-to-toe is a ballet move his 10 yr old does). Drive it for the first time and well, you end up like me, you buy one.

Now I have driven Ferrari, Aston, and many AMGs and M cars and this thing . . . Ok. Lets be specific. Suspension/steering are tight, go car tight. Power is at hand along all revs, and on search and destroy mode above 5 or 6k. It takes turns like a roller coaster, stable, solid, scary fast and you don't feel the g's, they feel you. As good or better than those cars above, to me, better. In the rain? In the rain, fogetaboutit, the RS4 has no equal.

But how did you fool your wise spouse? Well, this car does not look the part to 90% of us. If you like MMA/UFC, you know that there is Broc Lesnar, who looks like he can kill you so much, you would be dead before he touched you. He is the Ferrari (well really, Broc is more like the GTR or modded Viper). Then their is Kenny Florian. He looks like the pencil neck who's head you used as a baskeball in high school. Except, Kenny can wup your a#$, easily. He looks like an A4, but he is an RS4. He will lure you into a fight you think you can win, and before you can say "uncle" your arm gets snapped off in an armbar. You did not see it coming and RS4’s don’t tap.

That's good if you want to be stealthy. But nobody messes with Broc to begin with and everybody will pick a fight with Kenny. Some don't like to get messed with. Others like to be underestimated only to lure in the uninformed to their death. At least your wife will think you are driving a "practical" transport. She has no idea it is just Broc wearing a suit.

Inside. Audi has figured out fit and finish and interior quality better than its German stablemates. The quality is superb and look and styling best of the German brands today. Seats are too hard for me and not supportive enough. Buttons are not perferctly placed. Nav is great.

If you can only have one car that does it all, this is it. Othewise get a Ferrari and a 4 door people mover and there you go."
Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Spot on review - artfully spoken

Much like you, we have two other cars, so I also have an underdriven (6,000 miles in 2 1/2 years) RS4. I have no intention of parting with it anytime soon as it still puts a big smile on my face every time I drive it!

Good luck with your new toy.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have 40,000 miles on mine. I use it as a camera car on racetracks sometimes, going against Ferraris, Porsches, even GTR's. On a track, as I have it setup, it can still run with all of these cars and it hauls all my camera gear.

This is the ONLY car I've ever owned more than 2 years.

If I were buying a car today however, it'd probably be a new GTR, RS5, Z06 or M3. I love the RS4 power but could definitely appreciate having a 2 door again.

If I needed a four door however, the RS4 would still be my choice.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default BJ Penn would also be a good analogy (looks soft but has lethal hands & submissions)

I am a big MMA fan too.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Great Post

Raptorduck, great post and much appreciated review, good luck with the new toys and we hope that we might see you in an RS again.

Regards, Bergstrom
Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"How to win over the wife?"

How about I take a picture of my RS4 with my color matched Recaro booster seats in the back for the kids, and a "full load" in the trunk after coming back from Costco. This thing has a massive trunk for a car its size. One Costco + errand run with the entire family and my wife was sold. Absolutely AWESOME grocery/errand family runner. :P