RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break-in

I spoke to a neighbour of mine who is a senior engineer at the BMW plant here in Spartanburg. I told him about the whole break in proceedure controversy and this is what he had to say (I am not an engineer, so trying to remember as best I can).

Break in is not just about the engine, but also the drivetrain - the gearing in the differentials need to be broken in. At the plant here they adhere strictly to the RPM limits for break in - if a car goes over those limits even once, they will not send that car out for sale - they basically put it aside and trash it.
When I said that there was a school of thought that you should change out the synthetic oil for regular oild during the break-in period, he said "why would you do that? There is a reson we recommend a specific oil for our cars, it is no different for Audis".
Anyway, I sent him all the links on the motorcycle guys technique - it will be interesting to see his critique.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It will be intersesting as to what he has to say.

But I would be more interested if he actually was had involvement with the engines .
Old 07-16-2006, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Quick question

What happens if you downshift and momentarily the rpm shoots above the specified break-in limit?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default voided warranty

Quick delete your post, AoA is watching. Seriously, a momentary blip above the recommended rpm's is not going to cause any issues. If you are in the Dr. GP camp, it may even do some good.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the quick response

That makes me feel much better. The car is getting quicker everyday. I just hate the fact that it's so damn hot in texas that there really is no cool air to breath into the engine.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:51 PM

LOL!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the quick response

Try taking it out a 4 am when it's only 80 degrees, lol.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What a bunch of crap from BMW. Read this:

I'm a member at Autobahn Country Club here in Illinois. I also instruct (driving classes/clinics) there for a variety of groups. ABCC recently took delivery of 8 BMW 330i's and when we (the instructors) got in them, they had 3 miles on the cars. Yes, 3. Obviously no break-in period.

So, the first time out with these cars happens to be a Driver's Education Event and they are beat within an inch of their lives. Smoking brakes, smells emanating from the engine and trans that would make a buffalo in heat smell good (not that I'd know that, but more on my college days later) and absolutely no rest for these cars the whole day.

So, you're thinking to yourself, how can BMW possibly know what a new owner, or in this case ABCC, does with their cars once they roll off the showroom floor? Right? Ah well, ABCC doesn't own these cars. They are on "loan" from BMWNA for the summer and then go back to BMW. So, what does BMW do with these cars? According to the corporate employee from BMWNA, they will have new tires, brake pads and rotors and fluids flushed and sold as dealer demos. No, they will not be crushed. How'd you like one of these beauties?

So, I asked him for a list of the VIN's for all the cars at ABCC and he shot me a look like "you little arrogant pr**k." Funny. Seemed more the other way around but doesn't it always with BMW owners?

(If you'd like the VIN's, I can pull them. Would be interesting to track them over time!)<ul><li><a href="http://www.autobahncountryclub.net/">You can read about them here.....</a></li></ul>
Old 07-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KABOOM! No actually

that is why there is a rev limiter. I believe that sparkhill is correct, though.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 AM

Default Re: What a bunch of crap from BMW. Read this:

As I said I am no engineer, but asked the question and that was the answer I got. I haven't been to the performance centre they have over there, but apparently it is a bit like a car graveyard with cars that they use in the perfornamce centre and then de-commission. Whether you believe the party line or not, it is the party line.

Quick Reply: Break-in