RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Clutch self-adjuster problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch self-adjuster problem?

Looking for some insights about a clutch issue.

2008 RS4 with 25,0000 miles. After fast shifts above 7000 rpm, I get a widely varied clutch engagement point for the next shift, with the clutch getting really heavy and engaging just off the floor. After a few shifts and slowing down, it returns to normal. I have been driving a stick for 25 years and I don't think it is me. The car has not done this until the last few weeks. The clutch doesn't slip and is perfectly smooth in normal driving. Only happens in fast driving or near redline shifts.

I know the S5's had some issue with the hydraulic lines to the clutch, causing similar symptoms. Anyone have this in their RS4? Is it a master cylinder issue? The fluid in the brakes/clutch was changed last year by the dealer, but this started well after that.

Thanks

jd
Old 05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe this has been reported several times before and there was even a recall regarding this issue for the early 2007 cars that were delivered in mid 2006. I believe it was a hose issue then, so it could be something similar.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My RS4 is currently at the dealer for probably this problem, I have an ealry 2007 delivered in June 2006 with 28K and while driving noticed the clutch was sticking to the floor and would not return to its normal pedal position. I could still change gears and it would still engage even though there was not a lot of movement in the clutch.
If left alone it would return to its normal position but once I stepped on it to engage a gear it would not come back up or just slightly in order to engage the gear.
Will let you know what the issue is once I hear back from the dealer.

David
Old 06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default engagement

slave cylinder
Old 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s4master1
slave cylinder
Well the dealership has had my car for 2 weeks and they called yesterday to say it was not the master cylinder for the clutch but now think the clutch is gone.
This is not a warranty repair so they need my OK to spend the 10+ hours taking down the gearbox and the replacement parts.

I told them I want a 2nd opinion and ask that they call in an Audi Engineer

I will keep you posted but needless to say I am very displeased that they have had my car for 2 weeks and have not resolved the issue. My car has 28K miles there is no way the clutch should fail, has anyone elase on this forum had to replace a clutch and if you did what was the cost ???
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

An OEM RS4 Clutch is probably less than $500.00, and it certainly does not take 10 hours to do the job...I guarantee they can do it in less than 5..

I've experienced the same thing with my clutch when shifting at/or close to redline...car is a 2006 build with 42K miles (I bought it with 39K). I am thinking (and hoping) that my issues are due to air in the slave cylinder since I just checked my brake fluid and never seen anything worse...I don't think it had ever been flushed. It was nasty in color, and had more air bubbles than a shaken can of soda...I can't imagine that the slave cylinder is much better.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen this be a slave cylinder issue but I have also seen people here in Fort Collins who had to have their clutch replaced because the previous owner abused the car. It was thousands of dollars.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

There's a similar discussion on Audizine at this point.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ticking-at-40K
Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reggie,

I am the original owner and can assure you that I have never abused the clutch, I have gotten Audi involved and they are now telling me that they are not sure it tis the clutch but need to take apart the transmission to diagnose the problem.
Will let you know how this all turns out

david
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TjcM3
There's a similar discussion on Audizine at this point.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ticking-at-40K

Thanks for the info I read through the posts and it appears to be a similar issue

david

Quick Reply: Clutch self-adjuster problem?