RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Creaks and rattles driving me nuts....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaks and rattles driving me nuts....

I have had a steadily increasing rattle coming from the A pillar (passenger side) and what sounds like the roof now. Any rough surface sets it off but going over slanted surfces the flext the car really makes it squeak. Dealer, as usual, claims not to hear it. Anyone have a similar problem and perhaps some tips? I cant even figure out what would make the noise in there.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Creaks and rattles driving me nuts....

Yes I've noticed similar increasing creaks. I had the oil change at an independent mechanic and he noticed it right away. He stated that it was caused by the seals drying out do to wheather, frequent car washes....etc. He lubricated the seal with silicone and advised that this should be done every 10k miles. The car sounded a lot better.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

yes, happening to me. same squeak in same area
Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is the reality.....

You simply can not beat the laws of physics, no matter how good the build quality.

This is a heavy car with lots of "stuff" in it. Add to that a sport tuned suspension and 35 aspect ratio tires, and the car's structure will take a beating no matter how you slice it. Over time, that will lead to squeaks and rattles. Want a squeak and rattle free car, get a softly sprung Lexus with 50/55/60 aspect ratio tires.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Totally disagree

My Lexus GS400 had crazy stiff aftermarket suspension, and not a single squeal or crack after 4 years of driving and over 80,000km.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My B6 A4 had rattle like crazy yet the same platform S4 had been very quiet....

with 30K more miles on it. THere are some areas with this platform that are more prone such as the plastic trim piece at the bottom of the instrument cluster and the rear seat latches. Once you can find the darn things it's usually super easy to remedy but finding them can be the PITA. Sometimes you get lucky with a car, sometimes not I guess. Perhaps more german beer that build day?
Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Creaks and rattles driving me nuts....

Seal as in between the door and the car? Huh, it sounds more like something actually in the pillar/headliner area but as i'm sitting across the car its really hard to tell. Thats the thing thats really ticking me off, it only happens on the passenger side. I get noise from the sliding seatbelt assembly thats it.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Totally disagree

Yeah i've had several pcars a clk55 and a bmw m3 and none of them squeaked like this. Sounds like an old wooden ship in heavy seas. Maddening.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ^^^ this. squeaky door seals common on many cars

Had this on all problem on all my audis (B5 A4, B6 S4, B7 RS4), and several other makes as well.

Don't forget to lube the seal surrounding the moonroof, either.

It's an easy fix and makes a big difference IMO.

As for other creaks and rattles -- yah, EVERY car I've ever owned has had creaks/rattles. I guess I'm finicky or live on some ****ty roads.

4000 miles on the RS4 and I've had it in the shop half a dozen times to fix rattles/squeaks in the driver seat bottom, ceiling liner, center console, B and C pillars, and glove box.

Props to University Audi in Seattle for chasing these down, the car seems to be silent as a vault for now *knocks on wood*.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yes, the rubber seals between door and frame

i would definitely try to lube those first, and then see if you still here the rattles/creaks.

Quick Reply: Creaks and rattles driving me nuts....