RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Dash Buzz??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Buzz??

Very recently traded in my '04 S4 for a misano red RS4. For those who have asked I can only repeat that there is a suprisingly big delta in performance and handling as compared to the s4. The RS4 doesn't really feel anything like the S4... at least to me.

Only nit I have with the car is a dash buzz that happens when moving over rough pagement (say concrete with coarse grain) at highway speed - a resonant buzz not present most of the time. Not even present on all highway surfaces - but one on my commute!! Seems to be coming from the center of the dash - behind the MMI screen. Kinda hard to locate - I need to recruit another person to ride along in the car to listen intently/closely to truly find it.

So - I'm wondering whether this is common with the B7 A4 line... Have others had this issue? Didn't have such problems with my B6.

My thinking is that having the dealer screw around and rip apart the dash trying randomly to fix the problem is unlikely to result in finding and fixing the buzz, and that more likely are more problems resuling from mucking around with taking apart the dash. Curious as to whether others agree with this opinion...

Kind of annoying, but surviable.

Advice welcome.

...NW
Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mine is in the lower left dash...

Very subtle, low-pitched, only audible on very rough surfaces with the radio off. I thought it was a strange rattle, but it could certainly be a resonant buzz. The weird thing is that is is only present intermittently - same road, same speed and it may or may not be there. It seems to happen more often without a passenger. It is unnoticeable with the radio on. I pointed it out to one of my passengers and they could not hear it for a long time - once they tuned into the sound though, it drove them nuts.

I have decided to leave it alone rather than have my dash torn apart multiple times. FWIW, it occurs much less frequently now than when I first got the car. I am hoping it will go away completely soon.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe it's only in the cars that don't burn oil.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, mine burned some oil...

About 1.5 qts at 2500 miles. Fortunately, it seems to be slowing down.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Same buzz in my S4. I also decided to leave it alone. Not worth taking the dash apart.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wonder what it is?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Wonder what it is?

I have no idea but something is definitely loose behind the instrument cluster. At least that's where I think the buzz is coming from in my S4. I've also noticed that the sound has become less apparent in the last 12 months, but I can hear it occationally. None of my friends hear it so I sometimes wonder if it's coming from inside my head On smooth road surfaces and on 17-inch winter tires the car is silent, the buzz goes away completely. Not a big problem but slightly annoying, all the same.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 AM

Yep...I have the same exact thing..can't quite localize it...be interested to track this thread
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Another theory shot down in flames.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've had 2 such curses

One was the silly metal pen in the folder that holds the instruction manuals under the steering wheel. Bye bye pen.

Another is in the rear view mirror. that goes away for a few days upon pressing the mirror upwards. Then of course I forget to investigate for a few days.

I also have the creack-the-rear-windows noises on certain types of pavement...

Quick Reply: Dash Buzz??