RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Did anyone compare the RS4 to the new M5 before they made a decision?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone compare the RS4 to the new M5 before they made a decision?

Would it have made a difference at the time if a manual version was available like now?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Default I think a lot of people did..

I doubt everyone or most of us did, but I think many have cross shopped the two cars.

I personaly was never a BMW fan, although prior to the M5 being released I took a keen interest in it based on it's specs.

For me though in the end, it was never a serious consideration for several reasons, especially once it finally was fully launched. Those reasons were:

1) No AWD
2) Less rare, and less of a curiosity than the RS4
3) The stigma of being a BMW
4) It's attrocious appearance in the rear (my view, although shared by many)
5) SMG (no fan of that)
6) iDrive
7) Interior doesn't appeal to me
8) Zero sex appeal (come on, who doesn't want their $80-95k sports car to have sex appeal?)

LarryV owns both, and from what he's stated recently, plans to sell his M5 and get a Lotus as his track car. I think he said he drives his RS4 most of the time (if not all of the time?).

I suppose M5's will have better value used (although I personally still think RS cars keep their value better than any other Audi cars).

There's no doubt the M5 is a car never to be taken lightly in terms of its raw performance. However it doesn't seem to provide the refinement and cohesive experience of an RS4.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM

Default One guy bought both (larryv?). From memory, there were a few others who considered it.

I believe that a manual would have made a difference. But most had difficulty with the styling (e.g. Ford Taurus back-end).
Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I did..its a tough choice, I agree

At the time, BMW dealers here were demanding a premium, making this a $90K plus car.

Plus, after two terrible experiences with my M3's SMG, there was no way in hell I was taking an SMG car. Factor in a lousy local BMW dealership, controversial styling and the M5's mediocre interior, not to mention I wanted blue and their Interlagos Blue is a gay,I-wanna-be-like-Prince purple, and I passed.

Now, with that said, the M5 is a great car, loads of fun to drive and it felt a tad quicker than the Rs4. But you can tell it's bigger, but the oversteer by throttle is a thrilling experience.

For most people, either choice would be a good one. But for me, the Audi was more attractive for the reasons above.

I don't think most people will have the same objections....which should make the choice even more difficult.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Yes, RS4 Won by Vote!

I drove them back to back in the same day. While the M5 is a great car with a "monster" motor, I liked the feel, sound and size of the RS4 better...not to mention it's a manual. I was also looking for something different as well. Sightings of the M5 are far and few between, but the RS4 is even less. In fact, after five months of ownership and living in Southern California, I have yet seen one on the road. I am approached in my car (almost weekly) by people who say the same thing, "Wow, I've never seen one of those before....luckyyyyyyy." No regrets, I am glad I purchased the RS4. I can't wait until tomorrow to drive it again!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Like they said, I have both...

If the 6-speed manual was available at launch when I bought my M5 last year, I would've still taken the SMG and that choice would be the same today. While the US is the only market the 6mt will be available, BMW has dropped the ball and severely handicapped the 6mt version by removing the DSC button. You heard that right. While BMW dumbed down the SMG for the US by reducing the rpm's at which the launch mode drops the clutch, at least you are still able to select between 3 DSC modes: OFF, MDM (diet dsc), and DSC ON. On the 6mt, DSC will always be on and cannot be turned off via a button or iDrive. You are stuck with DSC and there will not be any burnouts or similar hooliganism with the manual version of the M5. They apparently did this for warranty reasons not to mention the lack of trust on their American customers to be able to resist doing 8k rpm clutch drops on a 4200lb 500hp RWD car. I for one, am very happpy with the SMG. It's a great tranny for track use and contrary to what people say (mostly non-owners who have only gone on short test drives), it's perfectly fine and smooth in daily driving conditions. It suits a heavy luxury-sport sedan like the M5 well and is a good match for the car's power and techno-gadgetry all the way down to the heads-up-display. Even if BMW did not dumb down the 6mt for the US market, I would've still chosen the SMG. It rocks.

That said, I am ready to part ways with my M5 by this spring, not because I was disappointed with the car but far from it! It is one of the best cars I've owned, next to the RS4 of course. I've had it for over a year now, went through many track days with it, and logged many road trips and nearly 10k miles on the clock and it's just simply time to move into something new and different (it's a sickness I'm sure I share with many of you). I already have another 4000 lb sedan, no need for two and despite the RS4 being the newer car of the two, it was not all that easy to choose which one had to go. Ok maybe it was... quattro, 6-speed manual, awesome sounding V8, and the fact that it's RED made the choice easier Also, since I've all of a sudden developed a desire for a light dedicated track car, I knew one of my fat ladies' days were numbered.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:34 PM

Default LOL

you are a funny guy. I love your cars. BASTAGE!!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

woot. track car is teh winnar idea.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Did anyone compare the RS4 to the new M5 before they made a decision?

I compared the two. It wasn't an easy decision, but here's my reason for choosing the RS4

1. idrive - I can't live with it. Just not well implemented
2. price - for 20k less you get a car with comparable performance and AWD.
3. looks - Just my opinion, but the RS4 interior and exterior looks much much better.
4. driving an M5 still feels more like a family sedan, while the more compact RS4 feels more hooligan, which again is that having four doors, but still able to throw it around feeling.

Can't wait....it arrives in 3 weeks!!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Nice Thread! It is awesome to hear the A/B Compare from individuals . . .

who have:

A) Experienced Both Cars
B) Experienced other Sports Cars

Quick Reply: Did anyone compare the RS4 to the new M5 before they made a decision?