RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

difficulty downshifting into first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
ATL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difficulty downshifting into first?

Greetings everyone, I'm new here, with about 700 mi on my RS4. Loving it so far.

One question: I have trouble downshifting into first gear. It just won't slide in unless I'm going really slowly, just a few mph. Does anyone else experience this? Do I need to blip the throttle or something? I'm no pro, but our VW (5 sp) doesn't act this way.

I've searched the archives and didn't find my issue raised.

Thanks for any input
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Try the blip move
Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Normal for any car...

downshifting into first with the car moving. Vast majority of drivers don't downshift into first, but go into 2dn and then drop into neutral as they stop. Wondering why you're downshifting into first.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have this issue at standstill, so more serious, and could be different but...

when I think back, mine got progressely worse over a period of time. I posted on this a couple of days ago, not too far down the thread.

Basically though, my car was a launch vehicle and, as you may be aware, some of these had an issue with a faulty (flexing) clutch hose. So, when my shifting problem was first diagnozed, dealer thought it was simply the hose and replaced with the newer part. All seemed fine, but literally only for a week or so.

Now problem is back, and dealer believes it's the pressure plate, so a new one is on order to be installed in the next week or two. I'll post an update when done.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:46 PM
ATL
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Normal for any car...

I (try to) downshift into first when going around a fairly tight corner (not racing, just regular driving), where it would bog in 2nd (which I end up resorting to anyway).

I haven't driven my wife's 5 sp Beetle for a while, but again, I don't recall having this issue there.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ya.. normal unless you are moving slow I thought
Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Moving at all, it's very difficult to get into first, from my experience...

and I can count the times I have shifted into first with car moving on the fingers of one hand.

I'm still not sure why anybody would want to downshift all the way into first when coming to a stop. If you have to in order to climb a steep hill, okay, I can see it.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM

Default I would...

just give it some revs while leaving in second, like someone else suggested.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He is right. Just sync engine and transmision speeds and no problem downshifting to first

while moving relatively slowly. I do not know what the synchro speed is down to first, but expect that it is in the OM. At least it seems to work for me when the car is warm. I obviously prefer to stay in second, but never want to bog down or stress the clutch or engine, just want to be smooth.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
gtc
AudiWorld Senior Member

After 3000 miles of practice you will be one with the RS4.

Quick Reply: difficulty downshifting into first?