RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DRC repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRC repair

Just as an update.
My car went in yesterday for clunking on all four corners (as described in threads below), worse when cold.

As per AoA, the tech bled the system. As I just had the two front shocks and central valve assemblies replaced less than two months ago, I have difficulty believing this will be a durable repair. I fail to see why it needed to be bled but this was AOA's suggestion.

Regardless, I have my car back. The ride is tight again. No more wander on the highway or bobbing and swaying. No clunks or thuds, at least for now. This is third repair in less than six months with less than 9K miles on the car.

Tomorrow is supposed to be really cold. I plan to take a drive and see how it is when it is 10 degrees out.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Keep us posted. My clunking comes and goes depending on the weather.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

After the first repair, did you see any fluid or 'perspiration' on the sides of the shocks?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: After the first repair, did you see any fluid or 'perspiration' on the sides of the shocks?

First repair delayed delivery and was both front shocks. Those were leaking. The replacement shocks failed with clunking. Both front shocks were leaking when I looked. Both front shocks were replaced again and this time with the two center valves. Was good for a while, then a light knock once in a while and then it progressed to the loud noise that prompted this repair.

I resisted the urge to examine the shocks obsessively. I didn't look until I noticed another problem, such as knock, clunk or floatiness to the ride. right now, they are dry.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Clunking again

Yeah, it is back. It is that sound of a baseball bat hitting the undercarriage now that the temp is 19 degrees.
I will call Audi in the AM. This is not acceptable for a $75K car.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My clunking noise is back and worse than ever. I hate this car! It's really a POS!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mine has been a disappointment, too

Engine problems. Suspension problems. Electrical gremlins. Rattles, squeaks.

When it runs, it is amazing. Other times, not so much.

I have had it for six months, nearly a month of which has been in the shop. When I dropped mine off the other morning, there were two other RS4s in the holding pen behind the dealer, meaning they had been there overnight. How many RS4s could they have sold?

This morning, it was sputtering again when cold and it stalled. Didn't throw a code this time, but the cold weather rough running is coming back.

My B7S4 was nearly bulletproof. This car is a problem.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm done, motorsports should be here in a week or so. F Audi!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Stasis is not a panacea

Yes, STASIS MS is a great suspension system. Two problems. One, I have to pay $4K for shocks in my new $70K car? F that. Two, doing so will void the warranty on everything suspension related. I am F-ing myself, there.

Also, I am having engine problems with severe carbon buildup at only 7K miles and now, not long after the manual cleaning, the car is starting to spit and stumble again when cold. I don't want to throw more money at the car right now.

I am considering being "done" in a bigger way. I love quattro. When good, it is very good. I am biding my time for now until I can explore other avenues for resolution.

I have had three Audis. One was very good. The other two (including this RS4) have been unacceptable. This may very well be my last Audi.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sucks! What brand of gas are you using?

Quick Reply: DRC repair