RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

DRC repair update....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRC repair update....

Guys....I promised an update to the DRC issues I've been experiencing and could use some advice if any of you have had a similar experience. The dealer replaced the two front struts which were leaking and also the two control valves. Apparently there is a control valve for each bank (right front and left rear strut are connected with one valve, etc) so both were replaced. I picked the car up and it seemed back to original for the trip home as well as a 40 mile drive the next day. I let it sit for a week and then drove it and the rattle from the front struts is back. The dealer inspected it yesterday and says there's no sign of leaking and the pressure in the system is at 15+ bars, which is the factory spec. The shop foreman didn't have any ideas about how to fix it and said he would talk to Audi. Since the noise is exactly the same as when the system wasn't pressurized, I told him I thought the system wasn't evacuated completely and it might have air in it. He showed me the pump that Audi gave them to drain and re-pressurize the system and he didn't have much confidence in it. At my request, they are going to drain the system again today and re-pressurize it. If there is air in the system, then it might cause the pressure to drop in the morning when the car is cold (Boston/winter) vs. the 70 degree temperature in the service department. I can't think of anything else and the shop foreman at the dealer is at a loss for an explanation. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with what your saying...

I've had the same issue, went back and forth to the dealer numerous times and it wasn't until they made sure the DRC was drained 100% and replaced both central valves that my car was back to normal.

I can't remember exactly what my tech did to make sure they system was drained, but he did say something about leaving the draining pump going for longer then recommended by Audi.

Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The shop foreman is going to leave it on for 20 minutes a side...

we'll see if that works.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You said both fronts replaced - could be that the rears got damaged during

the time that the pressure was low due to the fronts leaking. As you state, the dampers are diagonally connected. Suggest that you discuss with the dealer.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default PRICELESS.......The shop foreman just called...

He was charging the right front strut after evacuating that side and it wouldn't hold a charge. He looked at the top of the NEW right front strut and it had oil bubbling out! 148 miles since it was installed! Fortunately for me they have another in stock. When they initially ordered my replacement struts, they received 2 right side front struts and no left side. When they finally received the new left side they didn't return the extra right side. Lucky me :-) You can't put a price on this kind of entertainment!
Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Default DRC is flawless

/Bobbo