RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

drc > stasis sl.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drc > stasis sl.

After 3 months with my stasis, I have realized that the drc is better.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default oh shyte :( here we go

lol
Old 01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What's the reasoning? Comfort?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default There's currently no fluid in my car's DRC system. When I drive the car, it's basically...

being held up solely by the springs, and going over expansion joints on the 405 freeway here in LA make the car feel like...what was the example used a couple weeks ago...oh yeah, an 88 Town Car.

I'm not kidding. The ride is ****e, the steering wheel vibrates and the car wanders more aimlessly than a blind cow on a steep hill. I've parked it until the parts come in, and my 6 year old S6 Avant, which I had to pry from my brother's hands, is now my daily driver. This will be repair number two for the DRC. And I've noticed the number of wine bottles in the recycle bin have increased exponentially since this 'quirk' surfaced a few thousand miles ago. Hopefully the new 'B' parts are better, and the dealership's master techs do a good job with the repair so the valves don't get damaged, which seems about a 50/50 chance.

/rant
Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM

Default comfort is just one reason.

On smooth roads it rides very nice. It does take away some understeer but, on bumpy roads it has a harsh ride and it bounces. This is with snows on, I can ony imagine what it will be like with the summer tires on. My drivers side front shock came unscrewed this weekend. I had it towed to the nearest Audi dealer and they put the sock back together. The bill was 366.00 and I still need a new shock. My local tuner will install when Stasis sends him one. Stasis was very good about sending out a new one, but I am sure i will have to eat the Audi bill. At least when the drc fails it gives some warning and it is under warranty. This is the first time I have modded a car and I now wish I left it stock. Thinking of getting original suspension re installed.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Spring rate? I bought the softest springs and MS for this reason.

I am shocked at how many people spec the stiffest springs they have when the soft ones are still much much stiffer than stock.

How did the shock come uscrewed? I don't get it.

If anything comes unscrewed on mine, I don't have anyone to blame but me.

Sorry for your troubles. I bet it would be easy to sell your SLs and get back into the stockers.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Default I have over 20,000 miles on my SL's would not go back for anything

yes if your roads are in bad shape or you have a lot of pot holes the SL or any "performance" coilover will transmit more to the cabin. Our roads are not that bad and the occasional jarr from a bad road with worth the feel and handling of the after market suspension IMO. It is just a personal preference really.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Default I think the sl's only come with one spring rate.

I wasn't offerred a spring rate option. I guess the shock coming unscrewed could be my fault, I am not a mechanic, but I could climb under my car every day to make sure they look ok. One problem, I dont know what the hell I am looking at.. Shame on me.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stasis SL is a compromised solution at a reduced price......

Yes, it will allow for a better handling car, but at a much more significant compromise to ride quality than the superior MS suspension.

That being said, ALL performance suspensions compromise ride quality to a certain degree. You can't not ultimately defy the laws of physics.

Finally, a word on modding. Depending on the particular mod, it often times requires a few tweaks to get it all right. If you expect it to be totally perfect right from the start each and every time, then modding is not for you.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Default I hear what your saying.

This forum is a great source of information. I dont post much, but i do read it every day. All the talk about drc failure and the super reviews of the Stasi sl coilovers sold me and I jumped in. I am not complaining, just realized that, in my opinion, I should have stayed stock. I now know that modding a car is not for me. I wont make the mistake again. Would still love to read about everyone else though. This is a fun forum and I have all the regulars to thank for that. By the way, I really like Bob and enjoy reading his posts. A few guys on here should not bash him so hard.

Quick Reply: drc > stasis sl.